Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alaskanamazon

Best Flowers / Herbs / Veggies??

alaskanamazon
15 years ago

A very dear friend of ours just moved to the Gulf Coast and I want to send a "Garden Starter Kit" to her. Problem is I've only gardened in the arctic and the Pacific NW.

What are some of the best flowers/ veggies/ herbs for Gulf Coast gardening?

Comments (4)

• kandm
    15 years ago

These recommendations come from the book Tough Plants for the Southern Garden by Felder Rushing.

Annuals

Best Bets: Black eyed susans, castor bean aka mole bean, Celosia, Cleome aka Spider Flower, Coleus, Copper Plant aka Copperleaf, Coreopsis, Cosmos, Dusty Miller, Globe Amaranth aka Bachelor's Button, Johnny jump up (viola tricolor), Larkspur, Melampodium, Mexican Sunflower, Moss Rose, Okra (abelmoschus esculentus), Pansy and Viola, Pentas, Chili Peppers, Perilla, Periwinkle, Petunia, Salvia, Sunflower, Sweet Potato, Zinnia, Ageratum, Blue Bonnet, Calendula, Burgundy Mustard, Calendula, Candlestick Plant, Cornflower, Cushion Mum, French Holly Hock, Impatiens, Kales, Lettuces, Marigolds, Nicotiana, Poppies, Queen Annes Lace, Snap Dragons, Sweet Alyssum and Touch me nots.

Bulbs: Canna, Chives, Daffofils, Iris, Elephant Ear, Grape Hyacinth, Gladiolus, Hosta, Lycoris, Anemone,

Perennials:
    Perennials for Heavy or Wet Soils: Amsonia, Aspidistra, Cardinal Flower, Ironweed, Joe Pye Weed, Louisiana Iris, Lythrum, Stokes Aster

Late Summer and Fall Perennials: Asters, Boltonia, Canna, Daylily, Dwaft goldenrod, 4oclock, lantana, obedient plant, purple coneflower, mexican mint marigold, ruellia, soapwort

Butterfly Attracting Perennials: Canna, Coreopsis, goldenrod, ironweed, joe pye, lantana, liatris, lythrum, bee balm, phlox, purple coreflower, rudbeckia, salvia, sedum, verbena, yarrow

Shade Loving Perennials: Ajuga, peruvian lily, aspidistra, ferns, hosta, iris bulbs, liriope, lobelia, mondo grass, phlox, indian pink flower, violet.

Vegetables and Herbs:

okra, sweet potatoes, peppers, collards, turnips, radish, corn, tomatoes, mint, oregano, basil, garlic, chives, thyme, parsley, dill, pennyroyal, purple coneflower, bee balm, mint, rosemary, safe, thyme, garlic, lemon balm

• magnoliasouth
    15 years ago

This is rather amusing. I used to live in Alaska and now live down here. We lived in North Pole! I also did gardening in Alaska. It's VERY different than here, but honestly I'd say it's much easier up there.

I'm originally from the South, but we just loved it for the six years we were there. We would have stayed had we not gotten divorced.... but I digress.

There is a list in the pdf document available at the link below. It's via the Alabama County Extension office. :)

Somewhere buried in that site there WAS an amazing report published, which was originally the link I wanted to share. It lists the results of their test gardens and vegetable varieties. It also lists specific results for ALL zones in Alabama, so you can see which ones work for the coastal region. Sadly, it is either gone or hidden, and I cannot fathom why.

I'm a really good Googler and even I can't find it now, which is really disappointing. I never printed it as I thought it would be there forever. Perhaps you can contact them and inquire about it. I know I'm going to.

Good luck! Hopefully this will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Gardening Handbook

• carowaller_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hey, I live in the Gulf Shores area, but not the beach. If you every find that link again, please post it! There is the world of difference in here and Montgomery on gardening! I'd love to see specifics. Thanks for this link.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Wondering if you sent anything, if so what? What has your friend had to say about the difference/experience? And most importantly, have you been able to finagle a visit yet?

Sponsored