Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
has spring sprung?

Posted by aladatrot 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 11:05

In light of our nearly nonexistent winter this year, is anyone getting outdoor beds and gardens in already? I'm on the Texas gulf coast near Houston. Our winter was so abnormally mild that my petunias in my barn flowerbeds never died back, and neither did my parsley or cilantro. Talk about bizarre!

I purchased a whole slew of seeds figuring if it is too chilly still at night then perhaps they won't germinate just yet. Temps are in the 70's and 80's in the daytime, and 50's to 70's at night.

Do you think I am safe to go ahead and plant them?

Also, I am quite used to letting mother nature pull the trigger on planting her own bluebonnets because they do better in sandier soils than our clay gumbo. That said, I have some mature beds which we have built with sand, stall cleanout, and mulch over the years and I would love some bluebonnets in them. Is it too late to expect anything from seeds if I plant them?

Cheers
M

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: has spring sprung?

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 16:31

Spring sprung here about a month ago.

My parsley and cilantro love the winter, not so much these warm temps. Like yours, my petunias have been blooming non-stop. The pineapple sage too. That's a first for me.

I plan on sowing zinnia and cosmos seed next week.

o

What are your thoughts on planting sunflowers from seed this week?

My Italian parsley typically dies back, as do all my herbs other than the rosemary. Seems like the harder the.conditions, the more that rosemary thrives.

Cheers
M

o

Bluebonnet seeds need to go down in October, if you need seeds for next year, I will mail bluebonnet seeds for postage. Barbra

o

Yes, I'd definitely say spring has sprung. Not that we should overlook any cold sensitive plants, but for the most part, I think we're on our way. Just looking around, there is a sense of the natural world waking up (trees greening, the sun higher up, warmer temps. more bug activity).

I always have a mixture of plants in containers and in a garden bed. I still move plants indoors on nights below 50s, but otherwise, the containers are at full capacity. The garden bed is sort of on hold for a couple of more weeks, but I'm planning on the future arrangement now. There are a few things still growing, that I'll let continue (broccoli, kale, kohlrabi, peas).

o

There is an old farmer's saying about choosing the right time to sew seeds. "When the oak leaves are as big as mouse ears." Although, being from Michigan originally, I'm not even sure if Oaks lose their leaves down here. But since just about all the other trees are budding nicely I have begun to plant my seeds already.
Plus, if you look at the monthly averages on theweatherchannel.com you will see we are beyond frosty nights, unless we break some records.

o

• Posted by SoTX 8b/9a (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 2:15

Don't be surprised to see a freeze for Easter!

o

Don't be surprised to see 80's for Easter! Our weather has a mind of its own. I have seen it get too hot to plant by March. I was eating strawberries in December the year before.

o

Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 22:30

Strawberry harvest begins in early December here.

We've alreday had a number of days with highs in the 80s. Today is was 87. Tomorrow's forecast is 88. I dread summer!!!

o

Pecan trees have dropped thier tassels. That means there will not be another freeze.

o

Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 12:45

Pecans are always late to bud out. Has nothing to do with freezes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here