Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panspipes

Which Morning Glories Do Well Down Here?

panspipes
12 years ago

Back home in Michigan, a house just wasn't a home without morning glories growing on something. Sadly, I have heard they don't do well at all down here. Then I heard there are a few types that actually can take the heat, but nobody can remember what they are called.

Any help here would be hot. Thanks much.

P.S. I am between Houston and Galveston, so HOT & HUMID, but not salty.

Comments (10)

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    12 years ago

There are a number of morning glory species that are native to the Texas Gulf Coast, but some of these may be too aggressive for ornamental use. I'd probably go with Ipomoea pes-caprae planted in a sand-filled pot. It has leathery leaves and pink flowers and normally forms mats on dunes.

Ty

• piksi_hk
    12 years ago

Hi,

I grow a couple of morning glories:

Grandpa Ott's
    a pink one
    Sunrise serenade (this one is great)
    Jaime Lynn

I have other seeds that I plan to sow.

If you need some seeds, email me and I can send you some for postage.

Betsy

• kari_newgardener
    12 years ago

I wish I could help with your question, but I actually have a question myself since this is about morning glories. I was planning to try growing them this year,too. Last spring my neighbor had some beautiful morning glories that must have grown wild in their yard and climbed over my fence. Sadly, it appeared they didn't want them growing in their yard and they must have pulled them up, but they were just lovely for the few weeks they were growing.

I bought seeds for Ferry Morse Giant Mixed Colors Morning Glory. When do you plant your seeds here and how fast do they grow? I'm in Sugar Land area, zone 9.

• piksi_hk
    12 years ago

I've sown some seeds already and they don't take long to sprout, and they grow fast. I even had the Grandpa Ott bloom already (it self-sowed).

• txangoddess
    12 years ago

I'm a native of the Hobby/Pearland area, and Granpa Ott is far and away the most common and thriving variety I've seen growing here throughout my life.

But I've not had a problem with Heavenly Blue or Moonflowers from seed. Scarlet O'Hara has been a bit of a bust for me, but I planted last year, which is hardly a good example for anything really, with such sub par rainfall. Slightly digressing, but sticking with the time-of-day theme, Four O'Clocks love our crazy clay soil.

HTH.

• beachplant
    12 years ago

I`m in Galveston, Grandpa Otts is about the only one I have seen anywhere in our area that does well. The native bindweed is a morning glory but avoid it like the plague!! Seeds made it to our yard after Ike and I battle it constantly.
    Tally HO!

• burntplants
    11 years ago

Sorry for the late reply, but in my mother's south Houston neighborhood these do well:
    Gramdpa Ott's
    Scarlett O'Hara
    Heavenly Blue
    (Moonflower vine)--night blooming

and yes, wild bindweed: it's invasive, but it sure is pretty!

• AshleyBridge
    11 years ago

I grew Morning Glory's from seed for the first time ever this summer. They have brought so much joy to hubby and me. However, now they seem to be dying.
    Should I cut them back in the hopes of them coming back next summer? Should I pull them out from the root?
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, from a Newbie Gardener in Charleston, SC.

• panspipes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well thanks for all the suggestions.
    I tried G-pa Ott and Scarlet O'Hara.
    The O'Hara seeds went in and I never heard from them again.
    Grandpa Ott grew and flowered, but if "you-all" think it does well down here then either I did something wrong or you just need to see how they grow in MI.
    They were pathetic. The biggest leaves weren't even as big as my palms. The flowers were only about 2 1/2 inches across.
    They were pretty, but they weren't full enough to provide any kind of privacy, and they wilted miserably every afternoon. We had to water them 2X a day sometimes.
    So phooey. This year I'm growing purple hyacinth bean vines and moon flowers.
    The one moonflower I planted last year didn't even die! It's already leafing out all over the trellis from top to bottom. Now I'm growing a purple one too.
    Thanks again everybody.

• burntplants
    10 years ago

Also try Coral Vine.
    Just go ahead and plant it with the Hyacinth Bean & Moon Vine.
    They look great together--but they're deciduous, not evergreen.

Sponsored