Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keesw_gw

Web of roots

keesw
12 years ago

Hi All,

A couple of years ago I built a raised bed on the side of my lawn next to the fence. I removed the sod and filled the frame with garden mix soil. Had mixed success and last fall we had almost nothing. Digging through the soil showed a lot of the white grubs and a lot of sort of root mats...wads of very fine roots.

This spring I decided to take all the soil out of the bed, put down landscape fabric, screen the soil and mix it with home-made compost. I screned out all the grubs, weeds, stones and other undesired material.

Now I am trying to plant some plants and while the top surface looks nice and clean, when I work the soil I am finding all these long rhizomes. I have tried to follow where they go but that is difficult without emptying all the soil and the rhizomes keep breaking.

I am afraid that any remnant will propogate but I don;t really want to empty the bed again. DOes anyone know what kind of weed this webby mass is ? Is there any treatment for it ?. I am afraid that planting vegatable plants may be futile as this weed may take over everything.

Thanks in advance....

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists