Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mathmom11235

Potted Outdoor Plants and Heavy Rain?

MathMom11235
12 years ago

Hello everyone, I appreciate your advice in advance. I am pretty new at this stuff. For the last two years I lived in a house with a well established garden (that I did not do) and had the pleasure of taking care of it. However there wasn't much to it except weeding and watering and enjoying. I now don't have much outside space and my place is temporary so I am growing outside plants in pots.

So, to the question: I am on the gulf coast in Alabama and we have been having very heavy rains for the majority of a week so far. I have been bringing my pots under the porch overhang because I am afraid that the heavy rain will hurt the plants somehow.

Is it ok to leave them outside in the heavy rain? Perhaps it depends on the size of the plants?

I've got several marigolds in very small pots, sweet mint in an 8 inch pot (about four stems around 6 inches long at this point), and a small fern in another 8 inch pot. (There are some others with similar sizes.)

Thanks again!

Comment (1)

• jimr36
    12 years ago

I've been doing the same here in Texas (moving the containered plants close to the house under the overhangs, to keep them from getting soggy).

As to whether it is okay or not probably depends on the plant, and how much water they still get - even if somewhat covered. I notice that mine still get watered, I suppose because the winds sometimes blow the rain at an angle.

You might do some research for each plant (maybe online) as to watering, especially regarding soil staying moist. I've drilled holes in all my containers to make sure they drain well. The containers - as bought - never seem to have enough drainage, in my opinion. I only grow vegetables and herbs, but tomatoes (for example) need good drainage.

Hopefully someone else will add to the conversation, especially about marigolds and such.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County