Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rstanny

Oriental Dogwoods

rstanny
16 years ago

Has anyone here had success growing the Kousa and Kousa hybrid Dogwoods? Some varieties are becoming available here at quite reasonable prices. I bought a five-foot Celestial a couple of weeks back for around $16. Others are still quite expensive. I've had my eye on a Venus with flower buds and a price tag of $79. Seems to me some of the hybrids are crosses with Pacific Dogwoods, which aren't supposed to be suitable for eastern states.

Comments (4)

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

I am trying them for the first time myself. So far so good.

I have a hybrid, "Lemon" something or other. Made it through the season, leafing out now.

Mississippi coast

Terry

• feathertrader
    15 years ago

I've been looking for a few ornamental trees and Kousa keeps coming up. Also interested in a weeping cherry (Snow Fountain) not finding any though - at least not local.
    Sorry, no suggestions of how well they do - I'm just wondering too how well they would do.

• rstanny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I now have two young kousa-florida hybrids of Big Box origin, one white and one pink, and both did quite well through last summer in what I would ignorantly speculate are fairly ideal conditions for down here (moist, black soil and shaded by a windbreak of River Birch to their south). Foliage held up well in the heat and turned a nice red in the fall. The white one has a flower bud and the pink one has four (Hooah!). Stay tuned, I guess.

I may try one in a sunnier--but still moist--location this year if I see one I like that isn't too expensive to lose. UF Horticulture Dept. says it's hard to have too many of them.

Never did buy the Venus with all the flower buds I was looking at last spring. Probably just as well considering what they were asking for it.

• Susan Garrison
    15 years ago

About three years ago at the PJC Flower Show in Milton they were giving away a free dogwood. I took one and found out once I got home and got them separated that I actually had 10. I planted them in 1 gallon pots, as they were only about a foot high. Gave half to my mom and I kept half. Turns out that they were Chinese dogwoods. I don't like them. They sprout from the roots like crepe myrtles, have a bushy habit rather than the loose layered look of the native Florida dogwoods. I gave all mine away last fall--they were already 8' tall, still in the pots, grown through them in fact into the ground. Out of the five I gave away, four of them lived I'm told. So, yes, I would say they're easy to grow here. I live about 35 miles north of Pensacola, FL

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus