Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeep461

Finally done !!!!!

jeep461
17 years ago

I can walk into a nursery and not buy more than 1 plant. I am now trying to take care of what I have. This should be a learning experience. Things I have learned so far growing on sand. Use peat Moss, plant in semi shaded areas,keep fungicide handy now this one I never expected. Use Super Thrive. I must be missing some vital minerals or something because it worked like magic. I always thought it was snake oil. I treated one batch and did nothing to the other and it impressed me. I would never have tried it except I bought some Plumeria and my dogs ate one of the plants roots off. I posted on the Plumeria forum and recieved a reply to use Super Thrive from a very knowledgeable plumeria person. I figured well it was worth a shot. I will never be without it again.

Jim

Comments (13)

• magnolias4ever
    17 years ago

I think I've seen the Super Thrive at Lowes..... is this where you got it? How does it work on veggies?

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I bought it at Lowes; who would have thought Super Thrive. On vegtables it works great. I guess it will work on any plant I have used it on Cactus to fruit trees. I told my wife I was going to try some snake oil on my plants. I showed her the results she was amazed. I have read all the post pro's and con's in the past. It works for me, it turns yellow leaves into dark green. I am a true skeptic on miracle cures. After using it on 300+ plants. They have made a customer out of me.

Jim

• magnolias4ever
    17 years ago

Jim -- do you use it like fertilizer or in place of fertilizer?

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It is not a fertilizer. I know I thought the same thing. I has B vitamines, minerals, and hormones, who knows what else it is snake oil but it does work. I had a bunch of Brugmansias who were struggling to adapt from a pot to the sand. It made them green and vibrant again in just a few days. This was close to 100 plants. The snake oil does work.

Jim

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Jim, did you read the little book that came with the superthrive, it explains how it was used duing World War II, to help farmers grow crops in the US. I have been using it for years, on plants that freeze, if there is any life left in a plant it will bring it back. Stock up, because in the summer it is hard to find. Wal-Mart and Home Depot also carry it, its the cheapest at Wal-Mart. Barbra,

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mine had no book. I just bought 2 extra bottles. Amazing how green it makes my plants. Did you make the Master Gardeners sale? I did, guess I am not done. I got there late at about 12 and it was semi slim pickings but they had some Plumeria and Texas flowering Senna and some nice varigated Cannas. I bought several of each. My desert willow somebody picked it up before I could. The had 1 orange tree left and it was real nice. I bet the early birds got some real nice plants. I hope you made it.

Well I guess I lied I am almost done. I went to Lowes today and did not buy a plant. Yeahhh

Jim

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

It a nice little story behind superthrive, you have to tear it off the pad on the display.
    I was at the Plant sale about 15 minutes before they opened the gate. I also got some Plumeria cuttings, what a deal. They had 10 of each citrus tree, orange, lemon, grapefruit, or limes. Everyone went for the lemon trees. I got a really nice tree. I made the mistake of not putting plants in my cart, when I saw them. Instead I thought about where I would plant them, and when I went back, they were all gone. The tables were full when we got there, and in 20 mintues you would have thought they were giving them away. Barbra

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have never been to one down here. That was my first. My grandmother was real big in the botanical gardens in SA. She used to bring tons of left over stuff. One day she showed up with like 500 canna bulbs. The left over orange was beautiful, nicer than mine but I had 3 already. I can just imagine what 1st pick was like. Next time I will be there early. LOL

I might just have to join If I can find the time. I do love plant propagation. I am trying to figure out just what to do with my odd shaped Plumeria. Lots of material. I may just have to chop it up and plants the pieces.

Jim

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Barbra & Jim,

Barbra, you did good getting to the MG plant sale early. When we finally got out of there around 2, most of the plants were gone. I had ordered around 180 herbs, and when we left I counted only 35 left. I plan on using them in a couple of the gardens at Green Acres. Next time, I'll make a few adjustments on the herb order list.

I was so busy that I didn't get a chance to even shop around. However, there are a couple of the Mexican Redbuds left, so I'm going over today and get one.

Let me know if you have any suggestions as to what we might need more of, and I'll pass the information on. I'm on the plant sales committee, so any help will be appreciated. Our fall plant sale will be September 29 in conjunction with our Hidden Gardens Tour.

You can just stick the plumeria in the ground, and it will take off.

Talk to you all later.

Linda

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Master Gardeners, what are the meeting times and class structure? I would like to see if I can make the time.

Jim

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Jim,

Are you in San Pat County? If so, you can take the MG class which starts this August on Tuesdays from 1 until 5. After 16 weeks, you put in 50 hours volunteer, and then you can become certified. After that its 20 hours volunteer and 12 hours education yearly to keep up your certification. It's lots of fun, and it's a great way to meet other gardeners.

We meet once monthly for the general meeting with 4 of those meetings being evening pot luck dinners. And we have monthly brown bag luncheons which are open to both members and the public. Then we usually have several 1/2 to full day educational programs. And then we have our two plant sales and our fall Hidden Gardens Tour.

You can call the Aransas County Extension Office for more information at 361-790-0103.

Linda

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am in Aransas County. I guess the Tuesdays 1-5 kind of knocks me out. I have to work. I will call the office maybe I can sit in on some of the training.

Jim

• bjs496
    17 years ago

Hi Guys,

There is a lot of debate about the use of Super Thrive. I seem to remember reading an article that not only disputed that it works, but went on to say that under certain situations it can be detrimental to plant growth (I'm sorry, I don't remember the details.) I use ST when I root prune/re-pot because I *think* I noticed some difference in recovery time. I've read others who said the same thing. One person on the forum did a "controlled" experiment with it and found no noticeable difference between those plants grown with and those grown without ST.

At least its cheap enough not to feel so bad if there is no difference. LOL. I think the cheapest I found a four ounce bottle is at Wallymart.

~james

Here is a link that might be useful: superthrive vs superjive

Sponsored