Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgourlay_gw

Basil from seed

jgourlay
14 years ago

Basil is giving me fits! I set out a large quantity of seed in a sunny spot with good soil, good drainage. I got a large quantity of sprouts. This was in Feb/March that they sprouted.

Then the sprouts, w/their two little leaves, stared at me for a few weeks showing no growth at all. Now, most have died and the ones that didn't are yellowish and still not getting further leaves.

What could I be missing?

Comments (5)

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

I would think you started a little early. I haven't started any so far this year unless I use pots to transplant later. Make sure you let one plant go to seed as they will do much better than any you may buy, plus you will have way too many for your own use next year.
    Paul

• jgourlay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So is now a good time to seed them?

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

Works for me, I hope you save seeds from one plant this year as your seeds are so much better than any you find from the seed companies. I always get so much better results from seeds saved for basil. I never bother to remove the seeds from their coatings. My basil is just starting to come up from some I just threw out into the bed. You can always keep on planting all summer long into the warm fall weather to keep nice tender plants with better flavor for cooking. Of course if you lack room then by all means just keep pinching of the new tender shoots and keep it bushy. They are fun just seeing them grow, but don't let them bloom or you the flavor will not be worth saving except to produce seeds. If they go to seed early just plant more seeds. Make sure the seeds from your plants are dry before using.

• lantana_mama
    14 years ago

Today I went shopping for basil plants but they only had the Asian variety available. The Italian variety with large leaves I love but do not know the proper name. Is it too late to start these plants from seeds here in northwest Florida?
    I'd like to plant the basil in long potting containers need to know the best type soil to use and the best side of the house to plant. Any help would be most appreciated. I would give anything for good pesto this summer!.

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

I would plant Sweet Basil as it is overall the best flavor and now would be a fine time to plant the seeds. Be sure you save one plant near the end of the growning season for seeds as they will produce much better than those you buy in the store. I don't bother removing the seed covering and just save them in any container until next season. If you let one go to seed early you can wait until the seeds are dry and plant as long as the warm season is still here. Plants are fine also but the cost goes up. I grow them in sun or semi-shade and they seem to do fine anywhere. Our soil here isn't very good but they grow anyway. If you are looking for one type just type in basil Plants and go from there to see if you can find what you are looking for. Sweet Basil is the biggest seller as a seed and you can get them almost anyplace that sells seeds.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner