Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting a split leaf philodendron

Posted by carofl93 z8 NW Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 07 at 12:41

I think this is a split leaf...my garden guru Auntie told me it was, and to me her word is golden when it comes to plants. I checked Floridata, and it does resemble the Philodendron bipinnatifidum although it hasn't gone wild with the large woody stalk.

I currently have it planted between 2 large oaks...it came with the house. I'd like to move it into my back yard as I'd like to use the space between the oaks for a shade and container garden. The spot I have picked in the back yard does offer as much if not more shade than where Phil is now.
It hasn't put out any new growth yet. I don't know a whole lot about it, other than the fact that the whole plant is poisonous like it's indoor cousins.
Is there a specific time that is better for the plant to be moved? Also, do I need to dig up all of the little runner roots that he's put out over the years?

Thank you for helping the utterly clueless!

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting a split leaf philodendron

Dear Carol... You might try the "tropicals" forum or perhaps the palms forum if the tropical forum isn't getting enough traffic.

Can you take a digital pic and post it?

I've never transplanted a philodendrum but I imagine the general rules apply: Do it when the temperatures are cool, get as much of the roots and dirt as you can, and water well all year long.

Terry

o
RE: Transplanting a split leaf philodendron

I did a quick search for Philodendron transplanting and came up with this link there are usally much more. One thing the link did not address is you must cut back foilage, it will most likely die any way.

Another link to the original search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=philodendron+transplanting&btnG=Search

Here is a link that might be useful: Philodendron transplanting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here