Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_houston

acid fertilizer for YTT, duranta and hibiscus?

Ann_in_Houston
16 years ago

I was putting Miracle Grow azalea food on my Encores and on my blue hydrangeas today and I need to know if it's okay to put it on these three plants, while I'm at it. What plants should it not go on?

Comments (7)

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No one knows this? YTT is Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Think it would be a good idea for 'YTT' but I don't know about duranta and hibiscus--I grow both and don't, but the YTT does need extra attention to acidity. I use things like tea leaves and an organic acid fertilizer, tho'--not Miracle Gro. Prolly doesn't make a difference.

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

Hi Ann!

I've been away from my computer for a while.

Here is what I would suggest. If you haven't already done so, please get a soil test done through your County AgriLife Agent (formerly the County Extension Office). Lots of times people add unneeded amendments to their soil, causing for more problems down the line. My neighbor keeps putting a 13-13-13 on his yard, and he doesn't need the last two chemicals but only in very small numbers, but he does it anyway.

I too put acid on my hibiscus which I have in big pots. However, I use my used coffee grounds, leftover coffee and tea, as mentioned above. I don't know anything about the Miracle Grow stuff. Sorry.

I don't grow nor do I know anything about Brunfelsia latifolia a/k/a Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow. But I have read that it likes mildly acidic to neutral soil pH, so it probably won't hurt it depending on your soil pH level.

Duranta erecta a/k/a Duranta, Brazilian Sky Flower can tolerate a wide soil pH range (does well in acid or alkaline). So if it is doing well right now, I would just forget about amending the soil. Wait and see what happens.

And remember that both the YTT and Duranta are very poisonous, so make sure that children and pets stay away from them. I have read that the deer love the poisonous berries on the Duranta without any ill effects.

Hope this helps a little.

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. I have not gone back and put any more azalea food out. I am going to order some mulch and I think I'll just order pine bark, if that's not overdoing it. All of my existing acid lovers are looking peaked and sad, and I know that our water runs between 8 and 9. None of my blue hydrangeas ever comes out blue, so I really think the soil is alkaline. What other ways can I lower the ph of my hose water without using the commercial chemicals?

• beachplant
    15 years ago

As alkaline as our soil and water is I have a tendency to do the whole yard when I put stuff on my acid lovers. But you know I'm kind of lazy about fertilizing so the yard gets whatever I'm spaying that day, so the acid plants get plumeria food, the brugs get azalea food, everything gets fish emulsion..whatever is there, they get. Doesn't seem to have bothered any of them.
    Tally HO!

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Tally. I just love your relaxed gardening style. We sure missed you at the Swap. I had a good time, but now I don't know what half of my trades are, or where to put them. I guess they'll all start out in pots and then I can see what they do and how they react.
    I really need to come and see you (and your plants) sometime. The kids are talking about a trip to the beach w/their friends tomorrow, but I don't think I'm invited. ;)
    I never really go down that way by myself, but I might have to, one day.

• beachplant
    15 years ago

I have enough stress at work, the garden is supposed to be relaxing. So I relax.
    Come on down, the garden is going nuts. The backyard garden tour is the weekend of the 7th, there are some neat yards on it this year and our community garden.
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm