Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can gardenias stand afternoon sun

Posted by mmgrow 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 23:27

i recently planted three small gardenia shrubs on the west side of my fence.this was advised to me by the sales lady at walmart. i later read that they hate extreme heat or afternoon sun. they seem happy and full of blooms-but its only the end of april and the season of intense afternoon sun has not begun yet. should i move them now,leave them and let them acclimate to thier location, or wait till they go dorment and move them? how is their success on the gulf coast-i dont realy see them in my area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can gardenias stand afternoon sun

I've got one that gets a little morning sun and a lot of afternoon sun, and it does fine. I've been amazed at how tough it is!
Sherry

o

Well 2 out of 3 are doing well. One has officially bit the bullet! I may stick it out just as an experiment since they were pretty cheap. It's good to know that it is at least possible to grow them here in the blistering heat!

o

If you can get them established they will bloom more and more often in full sun than in partial shade.

o

My husband loves the smell of gardenias, I have tried 5 diffrent times to grow one. The last time, I was determined I could grow it. I bought a 5 gallon plant, dug a hugh hole and filled it with mirclegrow garden soil. I planted the gardenia in the morning sun, and the gardenia still died. I think our soil may be too salty. Barbra

o

I am usually on the winter sowing forum, but I found this forum last night. I should probably check it out more often because I live in Niceville, which is in the Florida panhandle about 60 miles east of Pensacola.

I moved here 2 years ago and bought my house--the gardenias were already here--they are huge, probably never been pruned but they are so pretty, I haven't been able to prune them even though they are about 8 feet tall.

They are on the southwest side of my house, which is in the shade almost all day because I have a lot of large trees. They lean over the fence to get some morning sun from the neighbors yard. If fact there are more blooms on their side than on mine. I think they are beautiful, and the heat doesn't hurt them at all. I love them, and thought you might like to see some pictures of them.

Jeane

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

wow!!!!!! that was inspiring! Thanks for the pics.

Quick ques. How long do they blume for you?

o

I have several gardenias in different parts of my yard. The only one that doesn't do well is one that is in full sun (previous owners mistake). I have 2 that only get afternoon sun and two that get morning. There's isn't much difference in any of them. If your survivors don't live through the summer, you would probably have better luck after the September heat has subsided if you want to try again. Perennials do better if planted in the fall (in the hot south) so they have time to establish theirselves.

As for the babies you have, mulch them real well and water them often and say a little prayer and they may get established before the heat hits this summer.

o

I KEEP MINE IN THE SHADE. They ARE BEST THAT WAY? They KEPT COMING. Did anyone get that black funky fungus on any of there citrus or Gardenias down herethis past year?? I tried everything? The whole towns got it??Black spots on some laeves? But not all plants?? I spent too much?? thanks!!

o

Honeybunny, it could be that your soil is too alkaline for the gardenia. I think they like it a lot more acidic than we can provide for them.

Janie

o

I live in New Orleans, LA and have 3 gardenias. They are all in full sun, bloom prolifically and one is taller than my fence. I posted on my blog about it if you are interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nawlins Garden: Inherited Gardenia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here