Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Malabar and New Zealand Spinach, Is it too late for seed?

Posted by bigoledude z9b Chalmette,Louisi (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 07 at 4:16

My Malabar and New Zealand Spinach seeds just arrived. We are blessed with a long growing season but, is May 30th too late for the Deep South?

I've read in older posts that Malabar is sorta slimy. Then, I read that if picked when the leaves are very young, sliminess is somewhat diminished.

How do y'all fix 'em?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Malabar and New Zealand Spinach, Is it too late for seed?

I've never grown it, but you are in zone 9, and I think that you could go ahead and plant it now.

o
RE: Malabar and New Zealand Spinach, Is it too late for seed?

Definitely go ahead. My vining spinach self seeds each year. I have tons of seedlings coming up right now that will easily grow to useable size before any cold kills them. Go for it. Yadda out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here