Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeep461

Plumeria where to plant them

jeep461
16 years ago

I live on the Texas coast and see plumeria in the full sun and partial shade. I have had to pull ot some Brugs that were getting to much sun. I have about 20 plants that are from 18 inches to 30" that I have grown. They are in morning sun and afternoon shade right now and are in black plastic pots.

Where should I plant them so I will not have to dig them up due to to much sun? Summers are brutal here. 90+ with 100% humidity. We have a 10-11 month growing season. It is time to plant my babies in the ground. Sandy soil also what admendments should I use if any?

Jim

Comments (6)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Ok, Jim I was trying to stay away from this question, but no one is answering it. Here goes, I have only been growing plumeria for 1 year, so I do not have much experience. The plumeria that I grow in morning sun,and afternoon semi shade, do much better, than the ones that grow in full sun. When you came over to visit that day, I was planting them in back along the fence, and they are now in full bloom. The plants in full sun are not as large, and are not blooming. Barbra,

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

Hey Barbra,

I didn't respond because, as you know, the plumerias that I planted in my front yard suffer from the wind. I think that I'll pull them up and put them back in a pot where they can get some protection from the wind, i.e. my back deck isn't as windy.

BTW, don't tell you know who, but Brandy had puppies, and we are getting a chocolate female next week. I'm sooooooo excited about it.

I'm still in Fairbanks, Alaska, but I'm flying the red-eye back to Texas later today. Talk to you later.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Linda, I am so happy for you and your husband, just what you needed another dog.
    When I think of the horrible conditions she was living in, and what a wonderful loving home you found her, I think they should have renamed her Lucky.

Jim, Linda grows beautiful plumerias, right next to copano bay. It was at her house that I saw my first plumeria in bloom, and fell in love. Linda is a master gardener, and her yard, shows it. Shes one of those people that can grow plants from tooth picks. Barbra,

• jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My plants water requirements tripled in the last week or so. I only imagine July and August. I would love to go to MG classes but work will not allow me. I had to move several plants due to the amount of sun. I am now growing big healthy brugs in the shade???? I guess Texas shade is different from other parts of the US. Still a lot of sun under the oaks.

I planted 1 Plumeria today to see how it liked it. I bet it was glad to get out of the 5 gallon pot. Roots were coming out of the bottom. I would love to see Linda's garden and absorb some of her knowledge. Growing plants on the Texas coast is very challenging. I have learned a lot but much of it was trial and error. I still have a bunch of plants which probably will need to be moved due to the amount of sun. It is quite a chore to move a 5 foot brug in the summer.

The heat is on.

Thanks,

Jim

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

Jim & Barbra,

DUH! I don't know what I was thinking when I responded to the question about plumerias. I was in Alaska, and I had a bad case of jet lag! Now I'm back home in Rockport, and I'm still suffering from a bad case of jet lag!

When I responded, I was thinking brugmansias rather than plumerias. My brugs in the ground aren't doing well at all, i.e. too much direct sun and too much wind. I transplanted one to a different location, and I'll see how it does.

I planted one plumeria in the ground last summer. It is under the eaves on the north side (bay side) of the house. It made it through the winter just fine and is already blooming whereas the plumerias in pots don't look so good and haven't bloomed yet.

And my neighbors have one in their back yard, also on the north-bay side of the house, and it was planted some 20+ years ago by her grandmother. It even made it through the Christmas 2004 snow. It is very big and taller than the house and blooming like crazy. I've decided that I'm pulling my big plumerias out of the pots and planting them out front in full sun. In Hawaii they grow in full sun, and in the fall they loose their leaves too just like here in the fall.

OK Jim, Barbra is far too kind regarding her words on my yard. Yes, I have lots of different varieties of plants, but I just "plant" them and tell them to either live or die. And landscaping is a word that I know nothing about unlike Barbra who has a beautifully landscaped yard. Anyway, I'm going to be gone for a while, taking my granddaughter to camp in Indiana, so I'll be hard to reach in June, but then I'll be back here in Rockport for the rest of the summer. Maybe you and Barbra and I can meet up and check out each other's yards.

I know about the MG class and only being able to attend if you aren't working. I've been trying to get them to have evening meetings ever since I took the class in the fall 1998. Maybe one day? And be sure to mark Saturday, September 29, on your calendars. It is our MG Fall Plant Sale and Hidden Gardens Tour. We have 11 gardens lined up this year, i.e. 4 in Rockport, 1 between Rockport and Aransas, 1 in Aransas, and 5 in Portland. I think it is going to be a great Hidden Gardens Tour this year.

Barbra, we are meeting Cindy, Brandy's new mom, tomorrow in Houston and getting our new baby, a female chocolate lab about 6 weeks. Terry has already named her Lindy to go with Indy. Yea, just what we need another dog. But Remy is 13 1/2 and not in the best of health, General is going back to Hawaii with Stacy later this summer, and Indy is too big to play gently with the babies. So we figured the a new puppy is just what Indy needs. Someone his size that he can play with.

I hope to get to visit with you later this summer and check out your great yard. Later!

Good Gardening,
    Linda

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

Hey Barbra,

We got Mocha, our new baby girl, yesterday. She is just too cute. You need to stop by and see her. I'll be out of town for a while, but Terry is there.

Later!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals