Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bchbndrn

would like to imitate South Texas Gulf Coast gardens

jorn
14 years ago

Hi all,

I live in Fort Collins,CO, but am a Texan at heart-born in Corpus, visit Port Aransas on a regular basis. I simply LOVE the area, and would like to do what is possible to imitate the feeling of a garden down there,...up here ! :)

Does anyone have suggestions for plants which grow there which would be hardy enough to grow here in l'il ole Zone 4 (b to be exact).

I've grown hibiscus, key limes and azaleas as annuals and had great success. My azaleas lasted 2 years, and one species of my hibiscus is actually in its 3rd year which pleases me to no end. Petunias grow like nobodys business, they are prolific, but of course, simply annuals here as well.

But I'd love to see what I could do in terms of growing plants which would last as perennials or biannuals for me. If not the same plants as what grow down on my favorite coast, then perhaps some ones which are similar in appearance, scent, behavior, etc.

Looking for suggestions for plants, shrubs, and/or trees - anything as I am wide open to exploring possibilities and love a challenge!

Would sure appreciate any advice you can pass this way.

Warm regards (and missing those Gulf breezes...!)

~JO

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?