Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Butterfly Bushes (Buddleia)

Posted by Panoply76 8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 13:01

Hello Y'all,

Last Fall I put in a pair of B-Bushes. Now, during Sping, they are growing in size massively - but I've yet to see a bloom! What's going on? When might I expect them to bloom? Is there something I should be doing to help them/make them bloom?

Thanks!
Pano

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Butterfly Bushes (Buddleia)

Should be starting any day now. Did they remain evergreen? Putting a banana peel at the base, lightly covered with leaves or mulch might get it kickin' but these shrubs need no special care except deadheading once you start getting flowers that have gone over, water if wilted. In 20 years, I've never fertilized a BB.

When you feel like trimming it some, stick the pieces in the ground where you want new ones, keep an eye that it doesn't dry out until growing/established. They are not long-lived individuals, so backups are a good idea. You can also start them in a pot if you can keep them from baking too dry, but I think it's easier to not have to move them later.

o

AWESOME advice and all of it news to me. Thank you very much!

So just cut off a piece and plant it and it grows?!?!?! Wow.

o

It grows if it makes roots. That doesn't always happen, but BB is known for doing it easily, as are many other plants. Experiment when you're trimming! Have fun ;)

o

Panoply, how are the shrubs doing? Have you seen any interesting visitors (assuming there are some blooms by now?)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here