Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vegetables that grow well in wet soil

Posted by kari_newgardener 8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 11 at 14:10

I live in the Houston area and have about 100 square feet that I dug out this spring for a vegetable garden. Just after I dug the garden, our neighbors put in a sprinkler system that is right on the other side of the fence that my garden is up against. About 75 square feet of the garden is fine and doesn't get wet when they water. The other 25 square feet gets completely waterlogged everyday, sometimes twice a day when they water and it drains into this one area.

I planted watermelon seeds and they have been doing terribly, growing slowly and just not doing much, although I can't say for sure that it's all the water. It could be something else that's keeping them from growing. But I'm wondering if anyone knows of any veggies that would grow well in constantly wet soil?

I'm so bummed out. I have all this extra space and I can't use it! Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: My web page

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vegetables that grow well in wet soil

only edible plants i know of are taro root, ong choy, water chestnut, lotus and watercrest.

o

Use containers or put in a raised bed

o

Saggitaria, Alligator Grass and Cattail is delicious. Make a pond out of the area and the possibilities increase dramatically!

o

Yeah, maybe consider (or extend) container planting to give more options away from the wet source.

As far as wet garden beds go, my Houston-area bed has gotten soaked several times lately from storms, with standing water for a day or so. It didn't seem to bother the broccoli, kale, kohlrabi, carrots, or peas. With the exception of kale, I think the rest of those are colder weather crops, which might not do well with warmer temperatures. It's all still new to me, so I'm learning the "temperature toleration" for each as I go. I'm also not sure how an extended soak would do. Maybe you can shield and/or divert the water somehow away from your garden. Time to get creative and inventive!

o

Dig a small drainage trench toward lower ground and "drain the swamp". You might-could accomplish this with a hoe if you don't have to go very deep. It's a one-time task that will free-up 75 feet of garden.

There's a lot of folks here who wish they had 75 feet of area to grow stuff and wouldn't mind one bit scraping out a small trench. Even putting some 4" perforated plastic pipe down to carry the water away is not very difficult.

If you must go deep, you may rent a small walk-behind Ditch Witch and finish that job lickidy split!

o

Hey like previously mentioned draining away is one way but seems a waste of water. I live in the Houston area as well and a raised bed is pretty much a requirement as most garden vegetables do require good drainage. Two things that come to my mind is 1 talk to your neighbor he may be able to make an adjustment the other would be to make a small sump area and collect their water to re-use for your garden or yard needs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here