Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tropical pool landscaping, in Corpus

Posted by DtBelinda1 Texas (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 23:05

I recently built a pool and am ready to landscape it. My backyard gets full sun. Getting ready to pull all oleanders. Looking for tropical plants that are freeze hardy. Do have hibiscis, crype myrtle, ixora, and pygmy date. Love coloring tropicals. Appreciate your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tropical pool landscaping, in Corpus

Around a pool, you need plants that do not loose their leavers, like bird of of paradise, blood bananas, daylilies, gerber dasies, and dark leaf elephant ears. If you are ever in Rockport come by my house you can see all the diffrent types of plants that do well in the sun. Of course I would have a few plumeria, but keep them in 5 gallon pots so you can bring them in in the winter. Most of my plants like some shade, but as your sun plants get older they shade the smaller plants, in the hot afternoon. Barbra

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Thu, May 31, 12 at 13:50

Palmetto palms are native to the Gulf Coast.

How big can the plants get?

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 11:57

Is the pool salt water?

o

Chlorine pools and salt water pools are the same thing. The salt water pool just uses a generator to make chlorine out of the raw salt. Chlorine comes from salt.
Around my pool with a salt water generator, I have banana, ginger, iris,canna lily, lavendar, rosemary, ornamental grass, passion flower,jasmine, morning glory, moonflowers, and a huge Charleston Grey watermelon vine at the present. I'm on the Florida Gulf Coast.

o

Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 14:24

Angela, so the plant selection would be the same for both? I don't have a pool, but my nephew is installing a saltwater pool and was asking for plant information. I didn't have a clue.

o

Hi natal! Yes. You can plant exactly the same things. Many people think that salt pools are different, but that salt is simply turned into chlorine by the generator. :)

o

Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 13:21

Angela, thanks. I'll pass that along.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here