Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID this lily?

Posted by bill_59texas 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 8:32

Hello Gardeners- I bought lily bulbs in mid April at a gardening show in Galveston, I think the club was was from there or the Houston area. I planted them and promptly lost the the paper w/planting instructions and the name. They are supposed to bloom around Mothers Day but are just starting because of the late planting. I'll recognize the name as soon as I see or hear it, so anyone have an idea? Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID this lily?

Amaryllis?

o

Maybe Hybrid of Asiatic lilies and longiflorum lilies? Leaning towards the latter...

o

Hard to say without seeing the foliage.

o

OK, i finally solved it, it's a Triumphator lily. I was at Moody Gardens for the Oleander celebration earlier this year and at a vendor table i bought some bulbs from a garden club from either Houston or Galveston. I got a paper with name and planting instructions and either lost it or my dog ate it (i am a guy and possible for me to lose things but i like to blame my dog!).

These lilies are phenomenal and here's a snip:
The hybrid lily �Triumphator� is a cross of the common Easter lily, which lends stem strength and height, and the Oriental lily, which adds new color and extreme fragrance. This type of hybrid is called an "Orienpet." Both of the parent lilies do well in Texas, but the hybrid of the two performs even better for me. The 6-inch-long Easter-lily-like flowers of �Triumphator� are deep maroon to rose pink on the inside of the throat, fading to pure white at the edges. The first year, bulbs may shoot up only one stem a few feet tall, and produce only a couple of flowers, but be patient. Each year that it returns, this lily will get larger, eventually producing spikes that reach 4 feet tall with up to 20 flowers per stem. The fragrance is incredible and inescapable; it is a softer version of the Oriental lily cut flowers you may have purchased.

Thanks for the help trying to ID.

o

Wow that's cool, never heard of it before but will be looking for some now.

o

Thanks for finding out all of that information! These lilies are spectacular and I also will be on the lookout for some. Wow!

o

Galveston Garden club sells them and caladiums every year. They are a great lily for the Gulf Coast.
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here