Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clewisrae

New disappointed veggie gardener

clewisrae
15 years ago

This was the first year that I did a veggie garden. I don't think I did very well. I'm very disappointed. Especially because of all the hard work and hours spent and nothing harvested, but a few tomatoes. I did plant the garden late, but still I'm not giving up, but I need some advice/help. I am wanting to do another garden and start off fresh. Any ideas what can be planted now? I have looked online, but have had no luck finding like a calendar of what and when to plant. Anyone please help....

Comments (4)

• amelia_pepper_lady
    15 years ago

I don't know if this is the case, but many start out with attempting a garden that is much too large. Too much area and too many varieties. (Been there, done that.) Starting with a select few vegetables so that you can spend time watching and learning what they need is the best approach.

Your best bet for advice on what to plant now may be your county agent. You can find the contact info on the Texas AgriLife website (http://texasextension.tamu.edu/) by clicking on "County Offices" and selecting your county. The address, phone number, and e-mail address will be displayed in the upper left corner. (Also, check out the other info available on the Texas AgriLife website.)

• jeep461
    15 years ago

I feel your pain. LOL I did the same thing about 15 years ago after I moved from San Antonio to the coast. Depending on your soil and how close you are to the water determines how you garden. Most varieties sold locally will survive and produce if given water,decent soil and afternoon shade.

Update or a picture and maybe we can help further.

• kandm
    15 years ago

Bill Finch, a garden writer for the local paper, has a growing guide for coastal Alabama. In July he suggested that we sow winter squash, corn, cukes, melons and pumpkin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Calendar

• Susan Garrison
    15 years ago

Timing is everything and I don't know that I agree with the garden calendar that kandm posted for coastal Alabama. Of course I'm just a little inland just north of Pensacola, but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I live in a farming community and I plant according to the schedule my parents and my husband's parents have found works for them over the years, which is totally different from the garden calendar. For instance, it says to plant sweet potato slips in early May. All the old timers here plant them in mid-July to early August. They also plant collards now. July is also the time to plant pumpkins and winter squash, but I don't think cucumbers or sweet corn would do well now because you would have to fight the bugs too much. I also disagree with planting tomatoes now, unless it's a very early variety because we sometimes get frost in the 2nd week of October. In mid- to late-September, sow seeds of the more tender greens that can't take hot sun, such as turnips, mustard, radishes, lettuce.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor