Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon Tree Damaged by Snow

Posted by sam_mcgowan Z9 TX (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 12:08

The snow we had in Houston back in December killed the leaves on our lemon tree and caused them to drop off. After checking the various sites, I took the "experts" advice and waited until spring to do any pruning. We got some early growth which died off as predicted. Now I'm not so sure the tree is going to put back out. It's still alive but no sign of new growth. I talked to someone yesterday who told me he pruned the dead leaves immediately after the snow and now he has plenty of blooms. I hate to lose this tree. It's about ten years old and the lemons from it were FANTASTIC! What experience are others having with snow-damaged lemon trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon Tree Damaged by Snow

Mine has never been "snow" damaged but hurt with hard freezes. Just now my lemons are starting to put on new growth and blooms from last winters extra hard freeze. I wait until fall to prune back the deadwood to be sure I am not cutting a limb that may snap out late. Some of my trees are over 30 years old.

o
RE: Lemon Tree Damaged by Snow

Has it shown any signs of growth? If not then I'm sad to say it's probably dead. By this time it should have started to grow again. All my citrus suffered some damage but survived. We weren't quite as cold as long as ya'll.
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here