Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best shade trees for south texas

Posted by kgatx TX (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 12, 09 at 13:57

I am having to remove the huge, rotten ash trees from the front yard of my new home and I am wanting to plant 2 to 3 new trees this fall. My home is going to look so barren and I am desperate to find the right trees that will fill the space and provide some shade.

I am wanting to plant an oak tree, but are there any of the faster or moderate growers that do well in south texas? (corpus christi area) all I ever see are the live oaks.

I am open to other types of trees, as long as they have good height/spread and lifespan.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best shade trees for south texas

• Posted by ltruett Zone, 9 Houston (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 12:19

Maybe mexican white oak or montezuma cypress.

o

Rather cliche for the South, but there are many crapemyrtles, especially the largest ones such as Lagerstroemia faureri (really pretty orange bark iwth white flowers, 20-30' when mature and rounded canopy) or the 'Natchez' cultivar of Lagerstroemia indica (or a hybrid of) that is also white flowering and gets about 25-30 tall and 25' wide with a oval and spreading canopy when mature, also with pretty bark that is cinnamon in color.

Crapes are usually always disease free and NEVER hatrack a crapemyrtle tree--there are clueless landscapers all over the South that still do this.

o
crapemyrtle info

SOrry, I wish I would have posted this link in my last posting, but here is a link to a database showing lots of different crapemyrtles. Click on the diffferent names or ones with photos (and make sure to click on the green "details" tabs to learn of mature tree heights).

'Dallas Red' has a pretty photo of what a large crapemyrtle looks like in a suburban yard!

Here is a link that might be useful: listings of crapemyrtle varieties

o

You don't state where you are located. You need to contact your county extension office and speak to a Master Gardener. They should have information on which plants do best in their particular county.

o

Here is the NUECES COUNTY LANDSCAPE PLANT LIST. It has recommendations for all plants and trees for the CC area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here