Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anybody know what this might be?

Posted by petiterose 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 15:57

I had two of these pop up in one of my beds about a month ago. It took me awhile to dig them out. Can anybody here identify this plant? It hasn't come back, but I'd like to know what it is, anyway.

Click here for more pictures of it, including the parts of the roots I was able to dig out...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anybody know what this might be?

petiterose, this is a baby tree, my husband and I call them wild trees, since we do not know the correct name. We took out over 12 of these trees from our alley fence line when we moved into our house in 1979. I kill the young seedlings by digging with a shovel, cutting off as far as I can go, and then applying purple cap round up to the exposed root. That is the only way we have been able to control these trees. They grow in clusters, not very full, you probably have a tree in your neighborhood, that is supplying these gifts for you. Barbra,

o

I'm not positive, but I think that they might be Brazilian pepper-tree (Schinus terebinthifolius) which are very pretty in the fall, but considered very invasive.

o

Hmm. I'll have to look around to see if anything nearby sports similar foliage.

Any other thoughts are still more than welcome. :)

o

Looks like an Ash tree. Seen many of those come up before...

o

Take it to your county extension office. They should be able to identify it.

o

Now, there's a thought! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here