Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange Tree

Posted by emtffwoo Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 16:33

I bought my house a couple of years ago, and there was a fairly good sized orange tree that produces very well. The only problem I have found is that my oranges are extremely sour. I don't know if the sourness is due to the soil, or do I have a rare orange lemon tree??? Any suggestions on what to do, so that I could actually enjoy eating these huge, juicy oranges without the pucker factor would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange Tree

http://www.sepalms.org/SPS_Hardy_Citrus.htm

Most likely a Satsuma or other cold-hardy hybrid.

o

If it is large you will have to just live with the tree. It may have froze at one time below the graft or was a seed tree.

o

Its possible that you have a ponderosa lemon tree. The fruit are very large and I have seen the fruit of this lemon mistaken for oranges.

o

I agree with Jim, if it is sour, it must have reached below 32 degrees, and you will need to replace the plant. Next time mulch your plants in the winter for protection. I have made the same mistake. Barbra,

o

You may just have a sour orange. Have you tried cooking with the juice? They also go good in panckaes, etc. I grate mine then cut and peel my oranges and put them in a blender with egg and honey. for orange pancakes. There are always ways of using them oranges. I have put them in the refrigerator and wait about one week and they seem to sweeten up some. My satsuma has that problem sometimes. I wouldn't cut that tree down if you are getting a lot of fruit. They hold up fairly well in the cooler. I have had some last over a month, just have to keep checking. Check with your good local nursery to be sure of the variety. Take a picure of the fruit and leaves with you so they don't have to do too much guessing. If you take the fruit and leaves make sure they are in a zip-lock bag.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here