Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Problems

Posted by alligatorob North Fl (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 08 at 19:25

My tomato plants do really well, in fact too well we have to fight to keep them in control. But our tomatoes are not so good. A lot of them turn a kind of white or pale red as they ripen and the tomatoes are not very good, woody and generally of poor quality. I have three different kinds of tomatoes, didnt keep the steaks but one is a big tomato, one is a cherry tomato, and one is small but bigger than cherry. All three have exactly the same problem.

I live on the beach, right on the Gulf. The soil is pure white sand, so we built raised beds using 2 x 12s and filled the boxes with a mix of potting soil, mushroom compost, and peat moss. We water twice a day and fertilize regularly. Other vegetables have done a lot better, we had great lettuce before it got hot, and we have really nice eggplants and a variety of peppers. All a great success, but the tomatoes are a bust.

Any ideas what is wrong and how we might be able to fix it? I sure like fresh garden tomatoes; its killing me to see those plants full of fruit just going bad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Problems

Drainage too fast, not enough nutrient.

o

Try picking green and ripen inside the house. It is too hot for tomatoes right now on the gulf. My best ones have afternoon shade.

o

This happened to my husband tomatos, they have a calcium deficiency, you can fix that with espom salt 2 Tbls to a gallon of water. Barbra

o

Get your soil tested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here