Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caution, pruning Century plant

Posted by rfonte649 9 La (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 10:48

I have a couple of rather large century plants. Decided to prune lower limbs, they were almost flat, lying on the ground. Tried cutting with large pruning tool, Slow work, so I decided on my chain saw, worked really well. About 2 minutes after starting I thought I had hit a hornets nets, I was burning on my arms and legs. The juice from the plant, flying off the chain saw, began stinging very badly. I am talking serious burning. Ran inside and started washing with cold water and soap. No relief until I applied benadryl and took a benadryl tablet. The juice must be very acidic. OOCH lesson learned.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caution, pruning Century plant

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 10:53

Err century plants (if you mean agaves), don't have limbs?

I wonder what you pruned ?

o

Called them limbs, cause they r too big to be called leaves?

o

Wiki:
"The juice from many species of agave can cause acute contact dermatitis.[16] It will produce reddening and blistering lasting one to two weeks. Episodes of itching may recur up to a year thereafter, though the rash is no longer visible. Irritation is, in part, caused by calcium oxalate raphides. Dried parts of the plants can be handled with bare hands with little or no effect."

Mentioned in this chart.

Sorry you are one of the unfortunate folks sensitive to such things. I am too! TY for sharing what happened to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here