Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Southwest Houstonians might know this one...(poppies?)

Posted by bloogootootx 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 07 at 19:47

Hi all,

Last winter at the shopping center Meyer Park they had planted what, as best I could tell, poppies. They grew and bloomed all winter long. They looked so springy and sweet, I would love to plant some this winter. Does anyone know what variety they were, or if they were even poppies at all?

Thanks,

Andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Southwest Houstonians might know this one...(poppies?)

• Posted by patris 9 Gulf Coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 28, 07 at 10:12

You might try calling the city parks division and ask them.

o

Poppies are easy to grow. They need to be planted now through December. Now is better.

After watering well, or after a good rain, broadcast seeds onto dirt. Don't waste them by throwing them onto mulch. They won't grow.

That is all there is to it. Plant larkspurs, calandula, snapdragons, viola and sweet peas too. Plant them all NOW! They will bloom February until hot weather sets in.

Also, try California poppies- they last well into the heat. They bloom orange. Iceland Poppies are great too, with a lot of different colors. They like cool weather, tho.

Good luck!

Janie

o

I live in Westbury and I do remember seeing those flowers. I believe they were poppies, but I have no idea what variety.

o

I think they were California poppies..They do well in our area..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here