Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple

Posted by masoncourt South LA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 07 at 9:40

I planted a japanese maple last year and I am having a few problems. The leaves were red all of last year but this year they turned green after a month or so. Now nearing the end of summer some of the leaves are turning black and there seems to be a light greenish mold on the trunk. Could this (the blackening leaves) be due to the intense heat we are having this summer? The tree is planted where it gets sun until about 1 o'clock and then it is shaded the rest of the day.
Is there any way to post pictures on this forum?

I am Extremely new to having any type of garden so any comments will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple

I know that japanese maples don't really thrive in zones 8 and above. There are exceptions, of course, but they need to go dormant over the winter(40 or lower for a couple of months) and they can't do that in our warmer areas.
Is it in a pot or in-ground? In-ground is much better.
I would move it to a more shaded area...a couple of hours of morning sun or dappled shade for the day.

Here is a link to the black leaf problem you're having. Doesn't sound good, I'm afraid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacteria causes black leaves

o
RE: Japanese Maple

I think if I were inclined, I would plant a dwarf variety in a large pot. Then I could move it around as needed. Maples prefer cooler climates than along the gulf coast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here