Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Garden

Posted by jettylady 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 12:11

Happy end of summer to all. It has been a great, although hot one here in Port Aransas. I have finally found a place to have a garden here and want to start things for the fall garden. I have only been here since March, so I am not that familiar with the dos and don'ts. Hows about some help as to when and what will be good in this area? Thank you and happy trowlling!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Garden

Is that on the Island near Corpus? It can't have much for cold-weather gardening there.

o

Check with your local extension agent first. You can grow most cole plants, greens, herbs, root vegetables and lettuce.
You can also start your tomatoes and peppers in pots to transplant when the weather starts to warm up about Feb-Mar depending on what and when. Many tomatoes are transplanted with protection in the early spring here [ in wire cages with plastic wrap for protection against the wind and cool nights from time to time] If you do not many years within a few weeks it could get too hot for tomatoes to produce.

o

Not sure how your climate compares to ours but we have the best luck with lettuce and broccoli. And we are trying strawberries this winter as well.

We usually put in some cabbage, collard greens, the usual winter stuff but the lettuce and broccoli are always the most productive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here