Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fall garden in houston

Posted by houstongardener09 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 14:19

hi everyone. this fall i plan on having a vegetable garden and trying some unusual things like quinoa and basically lots of cover crops mixed with edibles. so my question is when would i start planting things like wheat, quinoa, clover, poppies, and onions? i have seed for hard red winter wheat and white sonora, multi-hued quinoa, crimson clover, flanders poppy, and red creole onions. i also want to grow non-dormant alfalfa, salad greens, beans, broccoli, and alpine strawberries. i also have a few more questions, like will the crimson clover be able to handle some rather heavy soil? and my plan with the strawberries is to shade them with tall plants like sorghum in the summer. will this work? and also when should i start artichokes for a houston garden? i picked out a purple variety that is heat tolerant from baker creek. anyways, thanks everyone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fall garden in houston

Is autumn coming this year to Texas?

o

Texas has a website for all counties with extension agents you can contact. Not sure what county you live in being in the Houston area covers quite a few counties. There should even be a brick and mortar building where you can go for additional helps they should be in your local phone book. They also have classes on being a Master Gardner.

o

I planted quinoa a week or so ago and I'm in the Houston area, too. I found this thread and wondered if you'd had any success.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here