Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dozerboy_gw

New home owner needs help with yard and landcaping.

dozerboy
15 years ago

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread or not.

My wife and I bought or first house and I need some advice. My lawn is in bad shape among everything else. I've read the Scotts Lawns book and am confident that Billbugs and White Grubs have caused most of the damage. I was thinking I would use Merit/Fert in the spring. My lawn is mostly St Aug., but Bermuda it taking over in the damaged areas. Which it OK I think that is what I want to overseed with in the spring. I'm concerned that shad will be an ongoing problem as my trees mature with Common Bermuda so is there a Hyb. Bermuda that does well in the shade or should I seed as well/totally with a different grass? What I like about Bermuda is that it is a fine blade, thick, and doesn't use a lot of water.

I believe my trees are Live (Encino?)Oaks. One is doing ok the other not it has stuff growing on it. Some on the trunk begins with a L... I believe its ok but can be a sign of a problem I guess. Some of the smaller twigs have "cancer" looking knots growing on them and then there is also green "tumble weed" looking thing growing on the one also. I've done a bit of trimming didn't remove more then a 1/3 of the tree mostly thinning it out cut the branches growing upwards and deep watering. I don't know what else I should be doing to help them along.

Bushes and what not. I have no clue was to what these are called or what I should be doing as far as trimming, ferts., and ETC. A few of them not pic'ed are growing well think, but need to be trimmed back some. I just don't know how I should do it. A few other are barely growing and some of the leafs look bad don't know what to do about them.

And last there was the vine growing all over my bushes. I cut it way back, but it growing right next to one of the bushes and I'm not sure what to do to kill it and not the bush. In the pic you can kind of see the 2 "Trunks" of the vine about 6" long now with some leafs small leafs growing out of them right in front of the bush.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (2)

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

Hi dozerboy, let me see if I can help a little. First things first, don't panic, and don't start fertilizing and all just yet. My advice would be to find your local county agent office, or your local university agricultural extension service, which generally have a branch dealing with helping homeowners with their landscape concerns and veggie/fruit growing. If you read a Scott's lawn book, or even talk to a local garden center, in my opinion, they will try to sell you a product or a system, not necessarily out of a malicious intent, but feeling the customer wants a quick fix. I'm not sure exactly where you are and what zone, and your climatic conditions, becoz Texas is a BIG state, but in lots of the south, the grass is winding down now and should not be fertilized. Sometimes it is a good idea to "winterize" your lawn to get it ready for the cold season, and I beleive it helps the roots, but not a fertilizer for top growth. Your county agent will know this and the exact time for you to do this. And when to fertilize next season, and probably several times in the growing part of the season. Actually your lawn doesn't look real bad to me. You sort of have to decide if you are going to do a program of lawn care with these winterizers, fertilizers, and herbicides for weed control, or go organic (which is what I recommend). Visit the other forums like lawn/turf and organic lawn. Don't be in a hurry. As to the oak trees, they are very young and look good to me. The white stuff is probably lichen and is probably not a problem, the little balls are probably galls and probably ok too, the tumbleweed stuff looks like spanish moss to me, not a problem at all, and usually desirable and attractive on oaks in the south, but you could have mistletoe which is not a good thing, a definite parasite. I would again recommend you share the pics with a county agent type person familiar with your area of Texas. You may want to remove the tree rings and just use some mulch, and realize that most lawns will not grow well in shade, as the trees mature. You will most likely need to grow a ground cover or other shade plant under there in years to come, again not something to worry about right now. May I suggest visiting the Renegade Gardener website (just do a search) and he has some funny and helpful landscape tips. Ok, the shrubs look like ligustrum (the large ones), maybe some little hollies or boxwood and liriope (the grassy one). I would just remove the yellowing leaves. I would water when there hasn't been a good rain in a week, I would deep water at the roots. I would watch the drainage, does it drain well or stay wet. I would go organic, adding compost, and keeping it mulched. I am not an horticulturist, botanist, or expert by any means, just a gardener x 26 years. Hope some of this is helpful to you.
    Laurie in north Mississippi, formerly New Orleans

• dozerboy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips my big concern was the tree after 1/4 of my yard just died during a hot spell thanks to the grub damage. I know it took 5 year of neglect from the previous owner to get the yard in the shape it is now, so I expect it will take some time to get it back in to shape.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH