Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heirloom or OP Gape Tomato That Does Well in FL Panhandle?

Posted by sherilou_2010 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 30, 10 at 9:37

Can anyone who lives in the Florida Panhandle recommend an OP or heirloom grape tomato that grows well for them? Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heirloom or OP Gape Tomato That Does Well in FL Panhandle?

Another solution may be to amend the soil so that the plants grow better.

o

alex_7b... Do you have an inexpensive recommendation for amending the soil? Thank you!

o

I grow Sugar Plum grape tomatoes. You will find it listed as a hybrid but also as open pollinated. I use horse manure for soil amendment. Find someone with horses and you can get it for free. Let it compose well before using or you will get a garden full of weeds and grass.

o

Thanks Islandmanmitch! Have you had any luck saving seeds from the Sugar Plum grape tomatoes or do you get any "volunteer tomatoes" from them?

o

Sherilou, I have been successful in the past but this year the chickens escaped and ate all my seed tomatoes while they were drying. They didn't eat just my grape seed tomatoes, they ate all my seed tomatoes. I will have to order all new seeds next year. Are you planting a fall garden? I finished planting the last of mine today. Mitch

o

Chickens are amazingly resourceful! I looked-up Sugar Plum and they are all listed as hybrid.. I'm intrigued that you were able to save seed in the past and get good fruit.

A friend of mine is growing Bonnie's Best Grape tomato (from Bonnie Plant, Co.)... so delicious!! it's the best tomato I've ever eaten!

After your story, I asked her if could have all her fallen, overripe tomatoes to toss in a perfect spot near my place. Hopefully I will get some good volunteers.

Lots of cookable greens in the fall garden! Spigariello Liscia and Harmony Spinach (really delicious raw!) are my favorites!!

Thank you!

o

I can't say for sure but I believe this is where my Sugar Plum seeds originally came from. I know I have ordered from them in the past. They are listed as open pollinated and mine did come back true.
http://www.neseed.com/Tomato_i_Sugar_Plum_i_p/33135.htm
I have planted Bonnie's Grape tomatoes in the past but I don't know if they are hybrids. They do have a good taste.
The Fall garden is my favorite but this year it is so dry. Do you grow any lettuce?

o
Holiday Elf?

Hey Sherilou. I went to the site I posted and read where they used to be called "Holiday Elf". They may be different from other Sugar Plums?

o

Thank you... very helpful! I'm always excited to check-out a new seed site! No lettuce... I enjoy the hearty, Harmony spinach instead (it's very mild).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here