Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best spot for Fuyu Persimmon?

Posted by b.joy.bear 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 17:47

Hello! I am a new homeowner in Mobile County, Alabama, who is enjoying having a yard to fill with beautiful and use things.

Yesterday I bought a Fuyu persimmon, and I am trying to decide where to place it. I have two possible spots on the south side of my house. The main difference is that one spot (Option 1 in the picture) is closer to the house and enclosed by the fence. Option 2 is in my front yard.

Option 2 was my first idea, and it is still my preference. However, a friend suggested I might want the tree inside the fence to discourage people from stealing the fruit.

My question here, then, is this: are there any advantages *other* that deterring theft to keeping the tree nearer the house and inside the fence? If not, I'll probably go with Option 2. However, since I am new to having yards and planting trees, I thought I would ask some more experienced gardeners.

Many thanks!

Bethany

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best spot for Fuyu Persimmon?

• Posted by wisner 9 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 21:46

Having it behind a fence might be a good idea. Good luck with it.

o

Behind the fence! I live in midtown. Both my neighbor and I have Satsumas in our front yard. This was the first year that mine were bearing a good crop. Three weeks befor the fruit was ripe someone stripped every single green satsuma off both trees.

o

Squirrels love them so be sure you provide plenty of water as they go for the moisture and thereby destroy a lot of fruit just for the added moisture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here