Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasoiler2

Help With Sticker Problem

texasoiler2
14 years ago

I have tons of stickers in my front and back yard and wondered if there is a product to spread or spray to get rid of them? I fertilized and seeded grass 3 times this summer, and although the grass is sparse, the johnson grass, crab grass and stickers enjoyed the extra watering and food.At first I dug them by hand, but with the last rains the new crop is too numerous to to do that way. I am reluctant to use chemical warfare due to our proximity to the bay and channels around Ingleside. Is there a more "natural" method to eventually get rid of them?

Comments (7)

• texasoiler2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jolanaweb, thanks, I will try the sugar and alfalfa meal if I can find them. Our house was built on "cleared" land, almost no grass and no care to lawn by first owners. Our "soil" is sand, 2-4 feet deep in most places with some natural composted dead leaves...we are full of live oaks... and left- over house-build fill. I was hoping to encourage grass to help smother the weeds/stickers, but the soil is so iffy, I will take what I can get! Thanks for the advice. Always prefer to go natural, if possible.

• tantanman
    14 years ago

Jolana's advise on building the soil is the right
    goal but I would try a winter cover grass. Maybe
    rye, then try to get burmda sarted in warm weather.
    Grass burs or sand bur stickers should go away as
    you build your soil.

Rye will leave considerable organic in the soil.
    Sorry I didnt find this sooner.

• tantanman
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention the more economical organic
    fertilizer is usually cotton seed meal. I buy it
    at the cotton oil factory in Richmond several hundred
    lbs at a time or 1 sack at the feed store. They had
    a cotton seed oil mill in C.C. when I lived there.

• texasoiler2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tantanman, thank you for responding. Will try the rye next winter and go with bermuda again this spring. One half of front yard sun and other half shade with tree cover, so had gone with 2 different grasses last spring. At least they are "divided" by sidewalk, so pretty easy to seed. Thanks again for advice...Jill

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

I sure like all the suggestions on this post. I don't know if they work but it sure sounds like it must, I am going to have to try this also, but what about the ants, I understood they love sugar.
    One way to remove them now is to make a device to pull behind, using burlap bags weighted down and pull it over the lawn, as it gets full make another and burn each of the bags when they won't pick up anymore. You will have to do this many times but it should get a lot of the seeds

I know down this way the "stickers" are nut grass and I have putted them up by the "root" and place some inside a ziplock bag and laid them out on grating without any soil all summer and they were still growing as if they were still in the soil. This is without soil or water as the plastic bag kept everything out during a very hot summer.

• Dre LastName
    6 years ago

I've found that the only way to get rid of stickers is to get a thick pair of gloves and a screwdriver and go pull them out of the ground manually. You'll only need to do it twice and they'll be gone completely. But if a neighbor has them, they're going to find their way back to your yard. When you pull them out use some lawn starter soil over the spot and grass seed if you have it.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals