Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???

Posted by LullabyF360 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 15:56

In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even though I was born, raised, & still live in Louisiana, I have never been to New Orleans. I was also told there is a guy somewhere near there that specilizes in different types of bamboo. My info on him may not be accurate being as it was given to me by word of mouth. I'm looking for any place that carries bulbs as well as anything fun & pretty.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???

I enjoyed visiting Harold's a LOT, brought a few things home. It was so cool, DH even enjoyed it, he took some macro pics of orchids there. The people were beyond nice, too. Definitely a TON of ornamentals, but that was first week of April. I'm not sure seasons mean much down there.

There's an aquatic garden/store just east of the FQ but I have yet to make it over to that store.

Are you a vine-o-phile? On Esplanade, just north of Bourbon St, there's a house with mature Syngonium and Pothos (Epipremnum) going up the 2 trees in front. Smashing!

o

No. Seasons don't mean much of anything in Louisiana. Though, NO tends to get snow more than I do, & I live in north Louisiana. Our weather is just weird all around. One great thing about NO is that is it more humid than where I am. So more tropicals to find or at least see.

When it comes to plants, I'm trying to collect the unusual & bizarre, at least for my region anyway. You'd be surprise at the amount of nurseries here that don't even know what a Dutchman's pipe is

o

Yes, I've been looking for interesting plants since I moved here. If I see another pot of Nandina, I think I'll just puke on it. Tropicals are a soft spot of mine also. I thought there would be more house plants and perennials to buy here than in OH, but there are less. Some serious searching and swapping must be done. If I leaved near Harold's, the problem would just be budget-related.

The vine you mention is one of the host plants I've not been able to find for butterflies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here