Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New garden, prep for next year question?

Posted by sambo725 9 (samseeber@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Oct 3, 09 at 19:43

I am about to start preparing my land for a garden next spring, this is my first one. The land i am going to use is about 30 x 50. currently the land is full of weeds and some grass. Should i till and rake really good, or till and leave the weeds and grass in the soil? Can i cover the land with plastic and smoother out the weeds and grass? my question is what is the best way to start a garden that is full of weeds?

thanks
sam
New garden, prep for next year question?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New garden, prep for next year question?

The main problem down this way is more a grass problem than weeds. You just might want to do all of the above except the raking. If you aren't doing anything this winter, why not till, mulch and smoother? If you are going to plant this winter, try a very heavy mulch and just open a small area for each plant or seed and just watch for weeds. They should be easier to pull if they have to grow up through a lot of mulch or leaf and grass clippings. As long as the mulch isn't IN the ground there will be no nitrogen being removed from the soil.

o
RE: New garden, prep for next year question?

When I did as you are doing, we used the Lasagna Gardening method. Do a google search for this. Basically, lay wet newspsper over the whole area to kill grass. There are recommended green and brown plant materials that you alternate in layers. This will build a raised bed. Let this sit for winter. When the weather warms worms will be attracted by the materials in your layers. You will have the most beautiful soil that you ever saw. The only drawback is gathering several materials.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here