Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
English Ivy around my tree?

Posted by heidiho St. Martinville, La. (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 22:59

I want to put english ivy around the base of one of my trees; is this a good time to do this or should I wait until the spring?
Thanks for your time and have a nice day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: English Ivy around my tree?

I would think where you live it shouldn't matter too much, but most plants of this nature seem to enjoy the winter months to establish a good root base before our hot weather sets in sometimes quite early in our area. That is unless we get another year like out last one. For me I find many do best given that early start through our winter season.

o

I know that it looks nice when controlled, but in z8 and warmer, it's rather invasive. Where I live, people try to kill it off.

o

I have english ivy on one of my trees. I'ts cold and tonight will be in hte 20's here but that ivy just keeps growing.. TRUE it is invasive but if you like it alot you just cut it and put it somewhere else. My neighbor across the street has put in on the ground of her chain-link fence and it's growing up the fence! SO beautiful! We live on 5 acre lots here so there lots of space and lots of things you can do with ivy.. It will grow accross the grass - everywhere.. just run it over with the lawn mower and it will make more. But as for WHEN to plant it? Now is good ! It Lives! Even thru our freezes.

o

I have lost 2 large oak trees to it. Over 50 ft tall each one.
It took about 3 years to strangle them. Best advice--Don't let it climb the tree.
princealbert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here