Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Extreme beginner w/ question on Asclepias

Posted by Panoply76 8- Baton rouge (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 23:38

Hello Y'all,

I have recently planted 2 Asclepias curassavica plants, one orange the other yellow. They also were bought from different sellers. The orange one is going gangbusters. The yellow is not thriving much at all and may ineed be on it's way to botanical heaven. The pot I transplanted the yellow one to differs from the one I put the orange on in in the following ways. It has no layer of rocks at the bottom and may not be able to void excess water.
Besides the obvious fixes apparent above, I was wondering if you all could give me any pointers on this plant. Was htis the right time to plant? (the woman at the nursery assured me it was) How long should they remain in the pots I've put them in, they have a great deal of room with which to develop their roots in them. Should I take them indoors on (the very rare) very cold nights? How often should I fertilize them? (i use miracle grow) How often to water them - just keep the soil ever so slightly damp or....? Whatever else y'all'd care to share would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks,
Panoply76

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Extreme beginner w/ question on Asclepias

My first question: why do you have them growing in pots? It is hardy in your area and will come back from the roots. Perennials just don't perform well when their roots can't go down into the soil and when mother nature doesn't take care of them.

My second question: What type of soil do you have them planted in? They need a very lean soil - not Miracle Gro, but soil such that includes sand and maybe some pea gravel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asclepias curassavica culture

o

If you allowed them to form seedpods, the pods will eventually open, and the seeds will float with the wind and plants will emerge in different areas of your yard when the warm season returns which is awesome. Butterflies go crazy with them. Very drought hardy.

o

If you want to have more to feed the Monarch caterpillars, you can grow them from cuttings pretty easily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here