Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What greens are y'all able to grow well?

Posted by bigoledude z9b Chalmette,Louisi (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 1:53

I would like to grow spinach, chard and other cool-season greens. I have tried twice in the past and failed. I'm sure it's too late for this season but, would appreciate your ideas.

The seedlings were weak and were knocked over when watered. Even when watered very gently.

Looking forward to some good advice, please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What greens are y'all able to grow well?

I had the same problem with Chard. Asked the question in Vegetable forum yesterday, and got a response that lime was needed. It is very acid here. Are you acidic there? Maybe same issue.

o

Mustard greens grow great in our climate. They are very good picked fresh and cooked immediately. Do you know how to make hoe cake? Any corn bread would be good with them, but they do require corn bread.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 13:27

Mustard greens and lettuces are the easiest to grow. Scatter the seed, but don't cover with soil. They need light for germination. I top them with a very thin layer of pine straw.

I used to grow Swiss chard from seed, but it seems to take so long until it's ready to harvest. Seed needs to be soaked overnight. Now I buy transplants. Much easier and I harvest much sooner.

You can still sow mustard, lettuce, and chard.

Here is a link that might be useful: LSU veggie planting guide

o

All cole plant do well in our area, as well Chard and lettuce. I prefer Butter Crunch head lettuce. Sweet taste but it takes a whole head for 2 people. Mustard greens do fine in cool weather. I prefer all to be directly seeded in the soil, win, lose or draw.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here