Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Okra Seed

Posted by kari_newgardener 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 8:57

I posted this over in the Seed Saver forum but didn't get any response so I thought I'd try over here hoping there are some Okra growers who might know.

I've decided to let the okra that's left on my plants dry out so I can save the seed and also clear out the plants to make room to plant some fall greens. There's still plenty of warm weather here in Houston to grow some greens and maybe peas.

I have 10 okra plants with quite a number of pods on them and I've been watching them for the last week or so to see if they would dry out and it appears it's going to take a long time for them to dry out enough that I can save the seeds.

Is there anyone who can give me a rough estimate of how long it will take for those pods to dry out enough that I can harvest the seeds? Days, weeks, months? I'd really like to get those okra plants cleared out so I can plant some spinach and peas while it's still warm enough for them to germinate.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Okra Seed

Hello Kari, I have let some dry out in the sun in a basket and then the following spring planted them. Just be sure they get plenty of air circulation so they dont mold. Leslie

o

Thank you Leslie! That's a great idea. Thanks for responding, Kari

o

I do not understand why you cannot just plant around your okra as by now most of the leaves are gone and will not get in the way. Also from just one plant you can get enough seeds to even be able to give some away. The following was taken off the web; Step 1

Leave some of the okra pods on the plant when harvesting so they can reach maturity. Harvest pods from at least two plants when possible, to ensure genetic diversity in your crop each year.
Step 2

Remove the okra pods when they turn brown and the sides begin to split. Harvest the pods for seed as they ripen, otherwise they may split and spill the seed in the garden.
Step 3

Spread the pods out in a well-ventilated area that is out of direct sunlight. Leave them to dry for five to seven days.
Step 4

Label a paper bag with the seed variety and date harvested. Place the okra pods in the bag, fold over the top, then store in a dark, 45 degree Fahrenheit location until spring planting. Alternately, place the pods in a lidded jar and store in the refrigerator.
Step 5

Split the pods open when you are ready to plant, and remove the seeds. You can store okra seeds out of the pod, but the pods help protect the seeds during storage.

Read more: How to Harvest Okra Seeds : Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/114657-harvest-okra-seeds.html#ixzz1eFphk6WE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here