Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eahamel

Apple Chutney Recipe Question

eahamel
12 years ago

I found this recipe at cooks.com(no tomato amounts given, though it's in the title!). Is there enough vinegar in this recipe, as it is written (without the tomatoes), for this recipe to be canned in a water bath? If so, for how long, in pint jars? If not, what adjustments would I have to make?

ENGLISH APPLE AND TOMATO CHUTNEY

1 tbsp. mixed pickling spice

4 1/2 c. minced onions (1 lb.)

3 1/2 c. diced pared tart apples

4 oz. raisins (about 3/4 c.) chopped

1 c. cider vinegar

1 c. dark brown sugar, packed

1 tsp. salt

Tie pickling spice in a cheesecloth bag. Combine remaining ingredients in Dutch oven, add spice bag and cover. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens, about 2 hours.

Spoon hot chutney into clean glass jars; screw lids in place and refrigerate. Makes about 1 quart.

Chutney tastes best when made 2 to 3 days before serving. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Chutney is delicious with cheese and cold meats, and is a particularly good accompaniment to Indian curry.

Comments (10)

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Maybe, but we have no way of really knowing.
    This is designed to be a cooking recipe, not canning.
    I'm not sure the time and resources are worth canning a product that can be kept in the fridge for 2 months anyway!

If for some reason you wanted to make large quantites, you could freeze it, but the texture may suffer.

I think I'd just make enough to last 2 months and then make more as needed.

Deanna

• eahamel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Deanna,
    I solved the problem by making applesauce and freezing it, using FoodSaver bags.

Thanks.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

If you're prepared to risk it Apple Chutney from any high acid British recipe does not need any kind of processing. I know this is heretical on here but I have chutney on my shelves from October 2010 which we will be eating for the next couple of years quite happily. The flavour improves with keeping. 2 months would be a minimum. But it must be a traditional high vinegar recipe designed to be kept in this way.
    Here's mine:
    5lb apples
    1pt vinegar
    1lb soft brown sugar
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp ground ginger
    8oz onions
    8oz sultanas
    8os stoned chopped dates

Chop the whole lot up roughly. (Not in a food processor) Bring to the boil and simmer for about 1 1/4 hours stirring occasionally to stop it catching. It should be dark brown and thick with no liquid left from the apples. I then pot it into hot jars and cover with a vinegar proof lid. That's all. But obviously I can't recommend that on here.

• mellyofthesouth
    12 years ago

Flora, Isn't a UK pint different than an American pint?

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I believe so. An Imperial pint is 20 fl oz. (570 ml). A US pint is 16 fl oz. (480 ml).

Here is a link that might be useful: Handy conversion table

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

When I clicked the above link got this warning from my virus program...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• zabby17
    12 years ago

Flora,

Thanks for sharing---that looks lovely!

The worst likely to happen with a high-acid recipe like this if you don't process is a slightly higher chance of a jar that doesn't seal or that unseals itself. That still doesn't mean it's a high chance.

I'd be right over for some chutney at Flora's if it weren't for that durned ocean....

Cheers,

Z

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Hi Zabby - I'm afraid to say the jars never seal! I just put on a jampot cover and a screw top. (If you just put on the cover the chutney tends to shrink). To add to my sins I recyle old jars and lids infinitum.

John - I don't understand the virus warning. The link is to the Official Delia Smith website, Deliaonline

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

> John - I don't understand the virus warning. The link is to the Official Delia Smith website, Deliaonline

Flora,

Just clicked the link and is certainly fine today. Don't know what was going on when clicked it last Tue, but my virus program for sure gave me warnings.

I'm so sorry! Guess I should have kept quiet.

john

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

john - twice this month I have gotten viruses on gardenweb. so maybe you had a gw warning, not a link warning.