Return to the Harvest Forum

o
what have you put up in 2013

Posted by misskimmie z4b Central NY (kim@mpgfilms.com) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 8:31

OK, I start this thread. I really love reading about the kinds and amounts of foods that members of this forum put away each year.

It's -17 here this morning in Central New York. I'm staying inside and planning on canning some red hot cinnamon apples. Last week I made cranberry sauce.

11 half pints brandied cranberry sauce.

I know your canning year has already started. What have you put up in 2013?

Here is a link that might be useful: LITTLE HOMESTEAD IN THE VILLAGE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what have you put up in 2013

To date, I've only done cranberry chutney. In the next week, however, I plan to can Ozark Conserve, Lemon Curd, Pickled Turnips and Pickled Pumpkin. I have so many pumpkins left and I'm tired of pie. (Pie fatigue. Really? I can't believe I wrote that).
Deborah

o

Cannond,
What is your recipe for cranberry chutney?
Penny

o

I think I got this recipe somewhere in this forum. In any event, I also add some red pepper flakes for heat.

Cranberry Chutney
-- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 c chopped Granny Smith apple
1 c raisins
1 c chopped onion
1 c sugar
1 c white vinegar
3/4 c chopped celery
3/4 c water
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 bag fresh cranberries -- (12 oz.)

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 30 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. To can, Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Makes 4 - 1/2 pints.

o

Today I used my brand new Presto pressure canner to can some chicken stock. My first go with pressure canning went great! Yay! That's all I've canned so far this year, but I have a lot of tomatoes in the freezer. It was so hot this past summer I decided to wait until winter to can them. So I'm going to get started tomorrow hopefully.

o

I made a batch of teriyaki beef jerky in my dehydrator, also dehydrated a bunch of bell peppers, roasted and froze more red peppers, and last week, a first for me:canned some passion fruit jam. Yum!
It is tomato season in this part of the country, so I will be gearing up to put up tomatoes, salsa, sauce, and that wonderful tomato soup.
This is fun!
(new to GW....glad I discovered it. What an awesome community of people!

o

Welcome gmgdvm. Keep us posted on your progress. Have a great day!

-kim

o

Split Peas soup w/ ham
Beef Stew.

o

1 Blanket and 2 dresses ;-)

Sorry, I am in crocheting and sewing season, does that count?

I just stopped by the forum for inspiration for planting this year.

Happy Canning!

o

I have canned:

about 20 pints of ground beef - it was on sale.

about 8 pints of pineapple - again it was on sale.

about 10 pints of turkey that was bought at thanksgiving time and just cooked to be canned.

I did some ham but not sure if that was in December or not.

I also found a link on youtube about canning milk so I had to try that and made 8-10 pints of canned milk from a store bought 2% milk. was told that it will have a year shelf life.

o

I hate to be a wet blanket, but canning milk isn't considered safe by any credible standards.

I occasionally disregard standards if botulism isn't a concern, but it is with milk.

Deborah

o

I've started a mixed vegetable ferment, and am going to make pear conserve and orange marmalade within the next few days. Sauerkraut in a week or so, when the cabbage in my garden gets a bit larger.

o

Thanks for the welcome :-)

Made another batch of passion fruit jam, absolutely lovely to look at, and DE-licious!

2 batches of starfruit jam this morning, going to a friend's house this afternoon to teach her how to can tomatoes. (I laughed and told her she would be hooked on canning! Muahahaha....resistance is futile! :-) )

I have 3 huge heads of cabbage that were given to us, and I am going to start my VERY FIRST batch ever of home-made sauerkraut.

I sometimes get looked at like I've grown a second head when I tell people how much I can....but to me the work is definitely worthwhile. Nice to be part of a community of like-minded people who don't think canning is weird!

o

I feel like I am monopolizing this thread...sorry if that is the case.

I have sauerkraut fermenting right now, I'm guessing it will be done in another week or so. It's my first attempt at sauerkraut, but so far so good!

My husband brought home a flat of strawberries from the farmers' market yesterday, so I made strawberry jam (freezer and cooked), strawberry-starfruit jam, (which didn't set very well...I posted another message about that..) and strawberry lemonade concentrate. Can I just say that the strawberry lemonade concentrate is THE BOMB! It is SOOOOO good! LOL, it takes a LOT of lemons to get enough juice, but worth it for sure.

Today, I have 4 cases of tomatoes. Most likely, they will be canned plain, although I've been dying to try the veggie juice cocktail, so one case may get turned into homemade "V-8 juice".

I guess I'd better get busy!

o

So far, I've dehydrated lots of apples for the kids and made 10.5 pts of pasta sauce too. Trying to clean out of the freezer so I'll have room in the spring!

How do you can pineapple? My kids love that too!

o

Oh man, I haven't put away *anything* yet. I live in MD and try to eat seasonally & locally, so I've been going through my food that I put away last year.

However, come Friday, I'm getting a 20lb box of organic lemons from a small family farm in California. I have lots planned for those!

o

Was wondering the same thing about pineapple- how do you can it? Can I can oranges?

o

I've never canned pineapple, but would check the Ball Blue Book or NCHFP website. I haven't tried to can oranges yet, but there are approved recipes for them (sections in light syrup, BWB canned, but can't remember times) I know that a few of the regulars have said they don't care for canned oranges and wouldn't do them again, FWIW.

I did 103 jars of various products in 3 days last week...all of the strawberry products (did I mention that I LOVE the strawberry-lemonade concentrate!?), crushed tomatoes, Veggie juice cocktail, tomatoes with chiles, Annie's salsa (YUMMY!!!), stewed tomatoes, and some kickin' green mango-habanero salsa. Whew.

I've been looking through old threads, and found a recipe that Dave (digdirt) posted for shredded pork tamale filling. Save-a-Lot has pork picnic on sale for 0.99/lb this week, so I am going to give that a try. It will be my first foray into canning meat products (other than broth)

I'm glad I found this site. I've learned a ton, and have found some awesome recipes along the way. :-)

o

Canning for a new generation has a grape r fruit segments in mint syrup that's really good ...

This weekend I did 1 pint of dried cranberries.

o

Canning for a new generation has a grape r fruit segments in mint syrup that's really good ...

o

o

What the heck?! I did not mean to post that 3 times. lol

o

hello! so far this year I have put up
Orange, lemon, lime and Strawberry kiwi. jelly
orange segments (yummy but hard work)
chicken
meatloaf
15 bean soup with ham and chicken
split pea soup with ham

I have porkburger soup simmering for processing tomorrow as well as vetable soup base also being canned tomorrow.

pretty sure I have forgotten something. I guess I'm going to have to start writing all this down on a calendar. I have it stored and to lazy this late at night to go look at it. =]

o

Omigosh, you guys are inspiring! Here's what I've done: I've pulled down the jars, inspected for cracks, bought new jars for what I'll need this spring and purchased seals.

I've made it to the farmer's market to see if there was anything there beautiful and fresh to can, and found nothing. Still eating off the 'maters, chutneys and jams I put up last spring.

So I've put up exactly nada in 2013. LOL! I need to get more inspired by you guys to can more in the winter when my kitchen isn't so hot!

o

=] this past weekend when I put up the jams and jellies, I was in Florida with my hubs for our anniversary. He bought me a smaller pressure canner that fits on the 5th wheels 3 burner stove. It was tight, but I had a great time. If I go to long with out putting anything by I feel unproductive. (recently retired work-a-holic) I think today as the soup is processing, I am going to revamp the near bedroom into a food storage area. Have it all in one place. Right now its everywhere.

o

4squaregardener... I have often thought I should can stuff in FL when we go there (fresh citrus, donjaknow), but I'm sure the hubby and the kiddos (we have younglings) would have a cow if I did. Glad to see you're doing it though!!!

Also, how do you can meatloaf, and what is porkburger soup? Yum.

o

** My apologies to the forum, I did not intentionally post a recipe to harm anyone. I was answering a question posed to me. Dave, thank you for your safety concern. As seasoned canners, you are right, we should be looking out for the newbies.

Because the recipe is not approved by the USDA guidelines I removed it voluntarily.

Pork burger soup is very similar to hamburger soup except I use pork burger instead.

This makes approx 19 x 1.5 pint containers
2TBsp olive oil
3.5 lbs ground pork
2c sliced celery
2c sliced onion
8c sliced carrots
8 potatoes cubed
12 oz. dry lentils rinsed
2 heavy TBS minced garlic
salt, oregano, basil, lowery's season salt, red pepper, black pepper to taste.

10 Quarts water or stock. If I am using water I add the appropiate amount of bullion.

brown burger and onions in oil. (the pork burger i used was from the loin, very little fat, drain anyway.

Add all the ingredients and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours. (I typically make the soup the night before I intend on canning it.
I use a steaming basket to separate solids form the stock, and a measuring cup to fill jars half way with the solids.

1.5 pint jars are processed the same as quart jars. 90 minutes at 10#

**PROCESS WITH APPROVED CANNING METHODS**
you will have extra solids, I personally add more stock and feed the family that night.

This post was edited by 4squaregardener on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 11:14

o

So far this year, I've put up:

Taco Sauce
Apricot Chutney
Blood Orange Marmalade
Turkey Stock
Chicken Stock

got several things planned over the next week or two (candied jalapenos, apple jelly, etc.). :)

o

additions for this week: 16 x 1.5 pints burger soup
8 x 1.5 pints of potatoes, carrots, onions and celery
3 x 1.5 pints of carrots
4 pints carrots
2 pints potatoes
12 pints beef stock
8 pints french onion soup
8 x 12oz jars of carrot cake jam with dui raisins.

that was yesterday and today.

o

Unlike many other canning forums we have always focused on food safety first on this form.

So we really need to stress for any newbies reading this thread that canning meatloaf NOT in the approved guidelines and it is strongly recommended against because of density issues. There are simply too many uncontrolled variables in canning meatloaf to insure its safety.

Further fats should always be skimmed/removed as much as possible not only to prevent the food from turning rancid but because fats and oils insulate bacteria in the foods and prevent the heat from killing them regardless of the processing time used.

That recipes that include additional added fats and oils are highly suspect for safety as added oils are only approved in tested recipes.

And that any and all soups need to meet the USDA guideline of no more than 1/2 solids and the rest liquid to insure proper heat penetration.

While it is true that some people home can foods and use recipes that are untested or unapproved, that is their personal choice, their risk to take, But it serves us all well to keep the approved canning guidelines in mind and to stress those guidelines to those new to home food preservation.

Dave

o

Dave,
Did you miss where I stressed that?
If you wish I will remove the post.

o

No I saw it and really appreciate you adding that to the post. I just wanted to stress it a bit more and offer some other points for consideration as we have lots of lurkers and newbies here.

No, certainly no need to remove it. We are all free to make our own choices.

Dave

o

Dave,

I'm the one that asked how to can meatloaf. Sorry to have caused a ruckus... I wasn't going can any, but I was curious, since I had not ever seen a recipe for doing so. 4square, I also appreciate where you had stressed that it was not an approved recipe. I'm starting to branch out into canning and preserving other things, no pressure canner yet, and I find a lot of things on the internet that seem "off" to me.

Thanks to all for your diligence!

o

Dave,

I'm the one that asked how to can meatloaf. Sorry to have caused a ruckus... I wasn't going can any, but I was curious, since I had not ever seen a recipe for doing so. 4square, I also appreciate where you had stressed that it was not an approved recipe. I'm starting to branch out into canning and preserving other things, no pressure canner yet, and I find a lot of things on the internet that seem "off" to me.

Thanks to all for your diligence!

o

For February:

8 pints lemonade concentrate
1 pint dried lemon zest strips
2 quarts candied lemon peel
1 quart preserved lemon
1 quart bag lemon juice cubes

o

6 quarts of sauerkraut last night, plus enough for dinner, and about a quart saved in the fridge for Reubens
Today, had some tomatoes that needed to be used, so 5 pints of plain tomato sauce.
5 pints of Dave's pork tamale filling is just finishing in the pressure canner right now.
Saved the zest from all of the lemons I used to make strawberry lemonade concentrate; dehydrated those today, and powdered in an old (clean!) coffee grinder. Think I am going to mix some up and make my own lemon pepper.

o

February 2013:
(12) 1/2 pints honeybell jelly
(6) 1/2 pints strawberry preserves
(6) 1/2 pints apple butter
(6) gal freezer bags frozen corn kernels

o

Cucumber pickles and a mixed vegetable pickle, both fermented.
I'm making orange marmalade with Seville oranges right now, and will make kumquat marmalade in the next few days. Got some kraut planned soon, too.

o

DAVE is 100% right. The newbie’s and all others need to know. The Internet is full of unsafe unapproved canning recipes. Do your homework before you use a recipe that someone tells you they have been using for years. I always only recommended canning recipes that meet the USDA guideline. Also if you have a canning book, make sure it is up to date. There have been some changes in the last few years by the USDA. Some people are using 10-20 year old canning books that are out of date. BE SAFE.

o

(7) half pint Oros Blancos Grapefruit in mint syrup
(1) half pint of grapefruit mint syrup (this one has no grapefruit segments)

I plan on doing 3 citrus marmalade tomorrow...

o

A month or so ago, I put up a test batch of pork carnitas using Dave's recipe from a while back. Just opened some up tonight, added a jar to some sauteed onions, heated it up and added cilantro. Served with some rice and (home canned!) black beans.....DELICIOUS. I WILL be making more of this, SO worthwhile!

o

(5) half pints 3 citrus marmalade
half gallon triple sec
1 quart salt preserved oranges
1 quart salt & pepper preserved kumquats
1 quart orange vinegar
(4) half pints sweet preserved kumquats
(5) quarter pints riesling kumquat syrup
Orange, lemon, grapefruit, and vanilla extract

o

for March and April:
8 1/2 pints bruschetta
8 qrts cubed potatoes
2 qrts bean cassarole
12 pints bean cassarole
6 qrts rubbed country ribs*
9 qrts pinto beans w/seasoning
6 qrts split pea soup
7 qrts plain pinto beans

note on the country style ribs, they came out wonderful, one jar did not seal and we had it for dinner over plain white rice w/ veggies. YUM

o

last week: chicken broth, beef broth, and ham broth
10 more pints of pork carnitas
9 half-pints of "never fail marmalade" (gelled nicely, and delicious!)
14 quarts and 10 pints of green beans (who knew that the question from DH..."Do you want to can green beans?" was a loaded one..)
Today:
7 quarts of red cabbage sauerkraut
so far: 14 quarts of potatoes.

Still need to do more tomatoes, sauce and salsa, and would love to get my hands on some cucumbers so I can make bread and butter pickles. Probably will make another batch of marmalade, too.

(Nope, not addicted to canning....don't have a problem at all. Why do you ask? ;-) )

o

Today I froze about 15lbs of asparagus, we got it for less than $1 a pound. We have 3 spears starting to come up in the garden. And 2 weeks ago I made 20 jars of strawberry freezer jam. Funny cuz we never eat toast or bread and jam.

o

1 Quart Orange Vinegar (great for sauteeing greens)
4 pints Saurkraut.
3 quarter pints Persillade (basically a parsley pesto; frozen)

There's a sale at Shoprite Sweet Red Pepper 2 pounds for $3. I don't normally start canning my marinated sweet red pepper this early in the season but that's a great price. I bought 4 pounds but plan to go buy more and can some Marinated Sweet Red Pepper and a refridgerator pickle with them.

o

Oops, forgot about:

(3) half pints Chardonnay Kumquat Marmalade

o

Oops, forgot about:

(3) half pints Chardonnay Kumquat Marmalade

o

Nothing yet. I just got the peppers and tomatoes planted out this week. I hope to get plenty of tomatoes canned this year as I use a lot in cooking. Because of the constant problems with moles, deer, box turtles and rabbits we're about to quit gardening.

o

One batch of chicken stock - my first. Last year I realized I was wasting valuable freezer space with chicken stock that could be canned.

Other than that, its been all planning for this season. Checking supplies & equipment & looking for the best deals on canning lids.

o

1 quart dried apple rings
10 pints sauerkraut
3 pints marinated red bell pepper

o

Since my last update, I've made:

Thai Hot and Sweet Dipping Sauce
Blood Orange Marmalade
Cranapple Butter
Canned Chicken (9 pts)
Sweet and Sour Chicken (8 pts)
Chicken Enchilada Soup (14 pts)
Ham and Beans (3 pts)
Roasted Red Pepper Spread (10 half pints, 1 quarter pint)

Got a fabulous deal on the red peppers. They were supposed to be on sale 2/$3 but they had a whole bunch on clearance for $0.59 each.

o

Pickled 7 quarts of asparagus with my niece. Plan on doing a couple of batches of my own, too.

o

Some of you keep mentioning a lemonade concentrate or a strawberry lemonade concentrate---I would love to see the recipe for that.

I just started canning last fall. I have to admit it, I have a problem.... I love canning!

o

I guess I should tell you what I have put up:

9 q of spaghetti sauce that was awesome!
11 pints pineapple
14 Q applesauce
5 pints asparus-pickled
too much too sweet strawberry jam- I'm giving it away, it tastes like store jam. I still have 6ish pints left.
Plum Jam that was awesome

o

OMG, I love my lemonade concentrate! I always think i make enough and every year I don't! I just love, love, love lemonade!

http://thekitchencoven.blogspot.com/2013/03/canned-lemonade-concentrate.html

o

Strawberry lemonade concentrate
6 cups hulled strawberries
4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice

6 cups granulated sugar

Directions:
1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready to use. Do not boil. Set bands aside. 

2.) Puree strawberries in a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade, working in batches, until smooth. Transfer to a large stainless steel saucepan as completed. 

3.) ADD lemon juice and sugar to strawberry puree, stirring to combine. Heat to 190degrees F over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Do not boil. Remove from heat and skim off foam.

4.) LADLE hot concentrate into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.

5.) PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed. Can be canned in quarts: processing time is the same as for pints.
QUICK TIP: 
To reconstitute, mix one part concentrate with one part water, tonic water or ginger ale. Adjust concentrate to suit your taste.

Got this recipe off of this forum,and have to say my family is addicted....it is SO yummy. I usually mix 1 part concentrate to 2 parts water or soda. Stretches the concentrate a bit, and still tastes wonderful.

LOL, ObsessiveCanner.....that should have been my screen name! Love it! (I don't have a problem....REALLY!)

o

I don't generally buy produce from the grocery store because I prefer to support my local farms but Weis Markets was having a killer of a sale on tropical fruits and since I get local tropical fruits in MD, I decided to take advantage:

2 pints Pineapple
2 pints Mango
1 pint Pineapple & Mango
3 pints Lime & Pico Mango

Also peppers:

4 pints Marinated Red Peppers
1 quart Cubanelle Peppers - Frozen

I also have recieved so much spinach in my csa and between the lettuce and kale, I haven't touched it, so:

2 pints Spinach

The spinach was the first time I *ever* pressure canned! I did pretty well! AND! I didn't blow myself up!

o

4 pints kale
3 half pints mint jelly
3 half pints cantalope & vanilla jam

I'm getting more comfortable with this pressure canning thing!

o

• Posted by bcskye 5 Brn.Co., IN (My Page) on
    Sat, May 25, 13 at 22:31

Can the Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate be canned without sugar?

o

bcskye, I'm not sure. I THINK my SIL put up some using Splenda (she is diabetic) but I'd have to double-check with her. Seems like the combination of lemon and strawberry ought to be acidic enough w/o sugar, but I'm kind of a weenie about changing recipes and guessing about things like that . :-)

o

(5) - 1/2 pints Strawberry Vanilla Jam
(5) - 1/2 pints Strawberry Mint Jam
(1) - pint dried Strawberries

o

Still waiting for "canning season". Here's what I've put up so far:
8 pints white chicken chili
6 pints chicken stock
8 pints strawberry jam
8 pints pickled asparagus
3 pints pickled asparagus pieces
6 pints strawberry lemonade concentrate
4 half pints cherry jam

Heather

o

12 - 12oz jars of Bloody Mary Pickled Asparagus

o

4 - 1/2 pints of strawberry jam
4 - 1/4 pints of strawberry jam

Deanna

o

Not much yet -- just 10 quarts of green beans.

o

Since my last update, I've canned strawberry jam, low sugar strawberry jam, strawberry lemonade concentrate, strawberry preserves, spring conserve, and strawberry lemon marmalade. I think it's pretty clear what fruit was in season these last several week. LOL ROFL

Next month: peach marathon!

o

My first time canning on Monday - two half-pints of blackberry jam made with blackberries I picked at a u-pick farm. I was worried about whether they would seal property, since they got knocked around a bit during the process (equipment was awkward) and I wasn't sure if I had assessed "fingertip tight" correctly. But when I pressed down on the seals they were firm and unmovable, so I assume it worked.

o

Dill Pickles
Bread and Butter Pickles
Banana/Jalapeño/Pepperoncini Pickled Peppers

(if it does not stop torrential raining I fear any further pickled pepper canning will cease).

o

since my last post -- 10 more quarts of green bean (for a total of 20) and 32.5 pints of corn.

o

Yesterday was the last 12 quarts of red cling peaches and the last few pints of stewed rhubarb done. The rhubarb really loved this long, cool, wet spring.

Today was 6 quarts of dills that have been fermenting for the past 3 weeks and refilling the Harsh crock with another batch. Getting tired of working with cukes already but still have Sweet Relish to make.

Then 36 ears of sweet corn shucked, blanched, and to the freezer - most on the cob. This afternoon 6 quarts of B&B pickles and 3 bags of tomatoes to the freezer stocking up for making a double batch of Annie's Salsa next week.

Dave

o

(10) 1/2 pints of strawberry jam. I still have some strawberries left. I'm considering using them for the lavender strawberry jam someone posted here.

I also "resurrected" some apricot jam from last year that never set. (as the jars were cooling on the counter, i noticed that the packet of liquid pectin had expired). Rather than have many jars of apricot "dessert topping" I dumped a jar back into a sauce pan and heated it. Added some Pomona pectin mixed with a very little extra sugar (kept the pectin from clumping) and boiled again. Poured the jam back into the jar and it set up like a charm. Didn't bother re-canning, just put it in the refrigerator. I plan to do this on a jar by jar basis.

o

That's a great idea seasyde. I have some orange marmalade that is practically thinner than syrup. I may try doing the same thing! :)

o

That's a great idea seasyde. I have some orange marmalade that is practically thinner than syrup. I may try doing the same thing! :)

o

4 - 1/2 pints blueberry jam

o

oops, and 1 pint dried sour cherries. I hope to make more sour cherries and more blueberry jam soon.

I also need to get out and forage for some blackberries!

o

Ball Blue Book Oktoberfest Beer Mustard 8 4oz jars. Looking forward to October and some good German Sausages!

o

Ball Blue Book Oktoberfest Beer Mustard 8 4oz jars. Looking forward to October and some good German Sausages!

o

Ok, I know I can more than most people, but I'll tell what my husband and I have processed so far this year. All in pints unless noted.

Strawberry Jam--12
Strawberry Jelly--12
Strawberry Jam with Splenda--4
Strawberry Jam with NO SUGAR--2
Strawberries on Tap Jam/Jelly--11
Strawberry Syrup--4
Rhubarb Jelly--5
Rhubarb Jam with Strawberry Jello--4
Early Peach Preserves--5
Blueberry Jam with Splenda--4
Blueberry Syrup--4
Pickled Beets--3 (still have 1 bushel to go this week)
Pickles-Bread & Butter--14
Pickles-Bread & Butter with Splenda--13
Pickles-southern Lime--15
Pickles-Kosher Spears--18
Pickles-Kosher Chunks--15
Green Beans--18 pints and 21 qts

Season is just now starting.

for my jams and jellies, I freeze the fruits and then make the jam/jellies later. It takes long enough just to process the fruit without trying to make the jams/jellies the same day. I wait til a cooler day to make the preserves.

o

5 pints Dilly Beans
6 pints Green Beans
5 pints WasaBeans (Soy & Wasabi pickled Green Beans)

More is coming right up!

o

WOW some awesome canners here! It looks like some of you can year around but after reading I see why. Watch out meat sales here I come.(hehe) So far this year I have done:

20 1/2 pints of wild red huckleberry jam
14 1/2 pints of blueberry jam

I was lucky enough to come across a whole hillside of wild red huckleberries up on Capital Forest a few weeks ago so I turned it all into jam and shared with my adult children, my parents and my grandma. It was such a treat to find them. I have not seen a place loaded down with the tart little jewels like that since I was a child.
As the garden matures there will be lots more canning to do.

o

I am knee deep in peaches this week, working my way through 50 pounds of the sweet orange jewels. :)

I've canned peach pie jam, caribbean peach chutney, spiced peach butter, peach melba jam, and fruit salad in a jar (holy cow is that one good - I'm half tempted to make a second batch, as I don't think 19 pints are going to last us long enough).

Still need to put up peach pie filling, peaches in syrup, pickled peaches, and peach raspberry lemonade concentrate.

I also put up Homestyle Corn Relish and 22 pints of V8 this month.

I picked up 10 pounds of blueberries. Most will go in the freezer, but I did get a batch of Summer Solstice Jam put up, using some old cherries from the freezer. However, I see that jam doesn't look like it set very well. Might need to reprocess it. I really don't love liquid pectin.

o

That fruit salad in a jar sounds wonderful, would you mind sharing. I try to can most of what we eat, but haven't tried a fruit cocktail yet. Most of the canned cocktails has fruit that I don't like.

I've added 27 pints of pickled beets, should have got more done, but sprain ankle getting more jars out of storage. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be back to get another 20-30 done, then finished until next week.

I sell produce and the extra becomes processed for our own use, that makes our food for winter almost free, just the time.

o

So far, just pickles. Earlier in the year I emptied the freezer and canned 12 pints of pasta sauce and some rhubarb BBQ sauce, but in the last few weeks... pickles, pickles and pickles. 20 pints of Cucumber Lemon, Linda Lou's Sweet Pickle Chunks, 9 Day Icicle, Dill, Relish and Watermelon Pickles. Good thing my kids LOVE pickles!

I'd love that fruit salad in a jar recipe too, if you don't mind sharing. I plan on canning a lot of applesauce and peaches this summer/fall for my kids breakfasts, but I know they'd love that fruit salad, too.

o

Of the 27 pints, 9 pts didn't seal, so I have to reprocess them. I used the MainStay lids from WM. I'm not happy with them at all. I thought I'd save some money and buy their jars. Both BWB and pressure canning, the lids bent. Pressure canning sealed, but I lost too many beets on the BWB. I won't be using them again.

o

Yesterday was 8 pints of Sweet Relish, 6 quarts of B&B Pickles and a double batch of Annie's Salsa (16 pints).

Today is green beans (approx. 18-20 pints and canning the kraut that is done in the crock. Need to get the 10 heads of red cabbage shredded and into the crock.

Then we have to figure out something to do with all the zucchini that has taken over the fridge. Will shred some to freeze for bread later but will probably can tomatoes & zucchini with the rest.

Peaches are done (canned) and so is all the corn (freezer) and if I never see another cuke this season it would be great!

Dave

o

I'm starting to get a fridge full of zukes too (picked 3 today) but nothing is really producing like usual this year. Gotta go check the green beans, but nothing except flowers on Sunday. Have some green tomatoes, cukes are starting to come in (picked some Picklebush yesterday, 2 more today so I really have to make a jar or 2 of B&Bs - not enough to can).

Off the top of my head, here's this year's canning (half pints)

Feb Reprocessed 19 jars of grape jelly that hadn't set since Oct.

May made 6 jars of Blueberry Lime and 8 (?) jars of Gingered Blackberry Preserves from frozen berries

June 13 jars Mint Strawberry Preserves (a la Ferber) and 15 jars Old Fashioned Strawberry Jam

Still have gallons of blueberries picked this month frozen I need to process - anybody have an comments on the Blueberry Bonanza syrup (with corn syrup) vs the Blueberry Syrup on page 195 of Ball Complete? I'm looking for max yield for market and would like to avoid corn syrup, have various sorts of pectins (some might be expired, I don't normally use pectin but bought some last year and also got some on Freecycle) in the house to thicken it with if necessary.

I think Ball Complete has a fruit cocktail recipe.

Edited to add:

7 jars of Blueberry Syrup (Ball Complete page 195) with wild blueberries (raw pack, about 1/3 of the jar)
used the blueberry pulp to make 8 (?) jars of Blueberry Chipotle Preserves with Triple Sec - going to open a jar after a month to taste

3 pints of Bread and Butter pickles (in fridge)
2 quarts of B&B pickles (in fridge)
3 quarts of Half Sours (in fridge)
1 pint of Linda Z's Zucchini Preserves (in fridge)
5 pints B&B pickles (canned)

Need to make more Blueberry Lime Preserves since I sold out, and trying a Blackberry Cardamom (?) jelly or maybe just plain Blackberry jelly and then do a Blackberry Cardamom jam later. Sold out of Gingered Blackberry preserves but I really want to try Cardamom and I don't have enough berries to do both (darn SWDs!)

I think I want to try the Ball Complete Zucchini Marmalade too since I have the zukes, they need to be peeled since the SB scarred them all up and they didn't sell. Then again I may just freeze ratatouille since it looks like these may be the last of the zukes - no new flowers.

Edited 8/25 to add:

11 jars of Summer Squash Marmalade (1 batch of Ball Gingered Zuke plus 1 batch of Topp's version, plus a quart of lemon juice with 4C sugar and 1 pouch liquid pectin, all mixed together and reheated, processed in 2 batches to get right density)

1 quart blanched and frozen edamame (and more in the fridge)
2 lbs blanched and frozen green beans (and more in the fridge)
1 quart blackberry juice (in the fridge waiting to be made into jelly)
3 quarts finished half sours (half eaten already)
3 gal half sours fermenting now
another 4 lbs of cukes waiting to be pickled today

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 9:54

o

I made jam this winter with frozen fruit, too :). A great rainy day project!

The best one was a sort of fig-lemon marmalade. Every time I tasted it while it was cooking I said out loud, 'OMG, that is so GOOD!'

I also made fig chutney, blackberry jam, raspberry jam. I am too lazy to count jars, but probably 6-12 of each.

Oh, and one pint of quince sauce for ice cream, with an extra quince :).

This summer so far is all frozen stuff, I think: greens, berries. And grated zucchini -- so delicious for making fried patties!

o

Not much so far but making blue berry pie filling , and have made 14 pints of plum Jam.

o

Hi all, new here, thought I'd pipe in!
So far:
-12 pints applesauce
-waaaay too much strawberry jam (somewhere in the range of 40-50 jars)
-pickled cranberries
-pickled strawberries
-a few random small batches of tomatoes, peaches, orange segments.

Need to expand outside of just fruit! :-)

o

My buddy bought 40 lbs of blueberries so on Saturday I helped him can:

Blueberry jam
Blueberry & Basil Jam
Blueberry & Candied Ginger Butter
Blueberry Syrup
Blueberryies in Vanilla Syrup
Blueberries in Lavender Syrup
Blueberry Pie Filling

It took all - day - long and we split it in half!

Jessica

o

Where do you get enough strawberries for 50 jars of jam??

Today did 8 jars of Blueberry Lime Chipotle (added 1 Tbsp of chipotle powder to 8C of berries, 6C of sugar and it was too spicy so boiled up 4C berries and 2C sugar, shot of lime juice in a smaller pan and added it, then reheated the large pan before filling jars). Think this is like salsa and needs to sit for month to mellow?

Also did 8 jars of wild blueberry syrup - filled each 8 oz jar with 1/3C of wild blueberries, then added syrup made from blueberry juice (following method on page 195 of Ball Complete) and a simple syrup of 4C water, 3C sugar. Didn't really see it get to thread stage but I was afraid of caramelizing the sugar so I just added the blueberry juice and boiled a while longer, it wasn't setting up on a cold saucer (didn't really want it to), berries are floating (followed method for Huckleberries in Syrup in Linda Z's book, but I think she filled the jars with berries since she said 2 lbs would fill 6 half pints). Should be good on pancakes though. I didn't want to make "preserves" so my syrup may be a little runny.

40 lbs of blueberries is a lot - more than I've picked in the past month! Did he have to pick them?

Has anybody tried Mrs. Wages Pie Filling? Looks like powdered Clearjel? I was wondering if this could be substituted for CJ in relishes, etc. not just pie filling. Probably more expensive than CJ but TSC has it, thought I'd try it before ordering CJ online (shipping can be more than the purchase price!).

This post was edited by ajsmama on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 22:46

o

ajsmama - I dumpster dived around 30 pkgs of strawberries which got turned into I think 15-20 jars and the rest got dehydrated. Mostly though I'm incredibly lucky and my grandpa has an Organic Strawberry farm so I was able to get 65 quarts for free - just had to pick them. I canned:
-strawberry serrano jam (my favorite - absolutely delicious!)
-strawberry balsamic preserves
-strawberry chocolate sauce
-pureed strawberries
-regular strawberry jam
-pickled strawberries

Next year I'm definitely NOT going to try and can 65 quarts of strawberries by myself. I went to bed around 1:00 each night and had to blast the AC since they didn't fit in my fridge. But I have lots of organic strawberries put up! :-)

o

I don't know that I'd can anything from a dumpster. But the 65 quarts is awesome, strawberry picking goes a lot faster than blueberry picking (esp. wild blueberries, I think I go at a rate of 1 pint/hr!). Where is your grandpa's farm? My brother lives in WI, maybe he'll take the kids if it's PYO.

Can I have your recipe for strawberry serrano? Though they're not ripe at the same time - do you use dried serranos? I'm hoping frost holds off long enough for me to get some peppers this year (didn't last year), the plants are looking great, I have some 2" long Anaheims and some hot cherries already. I still have to renovate my strawberry bed though, it was too hot to do it last month.

o

I got it from Putting Up More - replaced the habaneros in Strawberry Habanero jam - just used a different pepper since I didn't want it scorchingly hot. My understanding is that you can replace different types of peppers for varying levels of heat, as long as you don't increase the amount. Just make sure to wear gloves! I can attest to the fact that you can actually get burns from peppers, my hands hurt enough that I had a hard time falling asleep that night! I can send the recipe your way, if you want, I just don't have my notebook with me.

I only use fresh, appropriately ripe food when canning, whether it comes from a dumpster on not. I get that it would make many (most?) people nervous. Initially I wasn't going to can anything from there, but after a year of eating it and finding it to be at times far better than some produce I've bought I decided to just go for it and I haven't had any problems. And just in case anyone here is wondering - I have a full-time job that more than pays for both my needs and wants, I just hate to see so much needless waste. I'll be transitioning to canning more freshly picked produce as my garden and farmer's markets are now underway! :-)

Here's a link to my grandparent's website, they do have u-pick. The web-page is fairly out of date, but you can always call them to see if their berries are ready - or PM me. They usually start in June and are in the last week or so around the 4th of July. Absolutely delicious berries! I can never eat enough of them. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Grampa Glenn's Organic Berries

o

oh, and I used some serranos frozen from last year and some bought from the store. I don't know about replacing with dried, but my guess would be that that's fine. Any canning safety experts out there have an answer?

o

Dried is usually considered safer than fresh, so I guess I'll have to dry (or freeze?) some serranos if I get any this year. I do have dried cayenne (lots of it, I don't know why I planted more this year, the dried stuff is from 2011), some Hinkelhatz, and assorted others (including some my mom got me at Penzey's that she thought were hot but are actually milder than what I grow).

I buy off the "still good" rack, though some is definitely past prime. I just had an image of you picking the "still good" berries out of a clamshell of moldy ones from the dumpster! Anything you can should be at peak, not overripe or squishy or even the suspicion of mold, b/c it's not going to get any better in the jar! Makes me cringe when people sell "canning tomatoes" that are split and moldy and rotting!

Oh, I will give my brother your grandpa's website, tell him to check it out if it's not too far from him -may be nice day trip with the kids, I know he'll make their great-grandma's shortcake for them since he asked me for some of her recipes, don't know if he'll make jam - and neither his GF nor his ex are domestically inclined.

Oops, just checked and the farm is over 100 miles from my brother in New Richmond. A little far maybe for a day trip, but I'll still give him the address. THanks!

This post was edited by ajsmama on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 18:54

o

To all my jams I added 14 half pints of zucchini relish. I have zucchini come out our ears right now!
~Tina~

o

This weekend I did:

4 quarts torn tomatoes
4 quarts tomato juice
7 pints basil pickled carrots
2 pints dill pickled green beans
2 pints mint pickled green beans
5 pints corn salsa

and a little of each to go in the fridge!

o

I looked seriously at my pantry this year and what I needed and didn't need, instead of going hog wild and modified my garden and food processing accordingly. That means a lot less canning than usual. We had a good berry harvest and I put by twenty pounds of strawberries, four of red raspberries and twenty of black raspberries, frozen in half pound bags. Did a run of strawberry jam and a run of orange marmalade since my jelly shelves are still full. So far have canned a hundred pounds of tomatoes and did two canners full of green beans. I have a second planting of beans coming on in the garden now. The cukes went ballistic this year and I stopped picking all but table cukes the first week of July and put by 8 quarts of dill spears and fourteen pints of bread and butter pickles. I'll be freezing green peppers in small containers at a later date. Peaches and apples are not quite ripe but there are so many apples we'll be pushing the drops over the hill for deer and I'll make a few dozen jars of sugarless apple sauce and hard to tell how many jars of peaches and pears until we pick them. I'll have potatoes to can too but don't know how many until I get them all dug.

o

This week, we did some peaches (18 pints) and so far 36 pints of whole/cream corn. I want to do some beans for ham and beans, but haven't tried that yet. Someone have a really good recipe?

Starting to run out of pint jars, may need to buy more, already purchased 13 dozen for pickles and preserves. I thought I had thousands, but evidently not.

o

Here is a picture of a small batch of Cranberry Mustard from Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving that I just made. Also have a 5 gal bucket (what was I thinking??) of cucs on the counter for sweet pickles.

o

Total of 63 pints of corn.

o

sorry double post

This post was edited by myfamilysfarm on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 9:46

o

wish I could delete double/triple posts

This post was edited by myfamilysfarm on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 9:48

o

please ignore all double posts, sorry

This post was edited by myfamilysfarm on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 9:50

o

11 more pints of tomatoes, more sweet pickles tomorrow AND I'm teaching a friend how to make dill pickles. That has to count for something, right?

Anxiously awaiting apple and peaches here!

Is this the recipe for Canned Fruit Salad? http://www.sbcanning.com/2013/06/canning-fruit-salad-in-jar.html I think my kids would love this... :)

o

It's just me in my house, but I do like to can...comes in handy for gifts too! I didn't do any jams this year, have so many left over from last year. This year, so far:
17 pints green beans
14 pints of vegetable soup
4 more pints green beans (neighbor lets me pick)
13 pints Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
16 half pints tomato soup
7 pints tomatoes in tomato juice
7 pints/ 6 pint and half tomatoes in water

Still lots of tomatoes coming. I had NO tomatoes last year, and I really missed my tomato soups. I purchased some tomatoes initially from a farm to get the garlic tomato soup and regular tomato soup done before I went on vacation. I took some with me as gifts.
My neighbor got all my extra tomato starts from seeds, so I offered to can some for him as well. His tomato plants are loaded! I don't have that large of a garden! Just two 5'x6' raised beds. I have Sugar Baby watermelon growing in his garden too, squash, zucchini, pickling cukes, etc! Which I have shared of course!! 6 watermelons coming so far!

o

Hi, all. I thought I'd share what I've been working on this year... I canned for the first time in 2010, then not again until this year. Now that I have garden space and fruit trees at home, I've been going preserving crazy!

This is my first year with a full-size community garden plot (600sq ft), and it's been a huge learning curve of how much I DON'T need to grow, lol.

Today I'll be canning around 6 quarts crushed tomatoes, and next week I'll be making more salsa. I also have to figure out what to do with the 11 pounds of green beans (harvesting weekly from 1-18 foot row), too many cucumbers (I'm so over making pickles), and 5 ripe cantaloupe (still have 6 ripening)...

Canned
8-8oz Glenora grape jam**
5-8oz strawberry lemonade concentrate*
5 pints cucumber veggie relish
4-8oz strawberry basil jam*
7 8oz jars pickled garlic
2 pints pickled jalapeños
8-9 8oz Blenheim apricot jam**
8- 8oz braspicot jam (blackberry, raspberry, apricot)**
8-9 8oz jars strawberry jam*
Pickles: 13qt, 20pints
15 pints salsa
6-8oz apricot jam (very thick. Oops!)**

Freezer:
14 pounds blanched green beans
5 lb cactus
5 qts pickles
10 cups chopped onion
22 cups chopped variety of peppers (several cups gone into canned salsa already)
13 cups blackberries**
2 cups chopped basil (in tablespoon portions)**
1 lb tomatillos (saving until I have enough for canning salsa verde)
6 cups blanched fava beans

*purchased strawberries at farm stand
**grown at home vs community garden

Thanks for taking a look. :)

o

what a long, interesting thread ! only browsed, so i hope this isn't a repeat. i don't can much ( only BWB) but i do have 2 freezers (i prefer to use glass jars to plastic). it bothers me to waste all the left over canning syrups, so i tried this last year, and it works ! if there's left over pickles or relish from a full canning load, i just freeze it. not quite as good as canned, but still yummy. diced squash gets cooked in leftover fruit syrups ( spiced or with spirits) and eaten or frozen. it's an interesting change . anyone use them in a different way ?

o

7/9/13 - 10 half pts. strawberry jam (low sugar, Pomona pectin)
8/16/13 - 6 pts. strawberry lemonade concentrate

Next weekend the real fun begins. We're doing a day trip out to farm country and hitting all the produce stands & u picks.

o

eliminating double post

This post was edited by JennyinRoss on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 21:57

o

So far I have canned:

Strawberry freezer jam

Lilac Jam

Blueberry Jam

Black raspberry Jelly

Black raspberry-peach Jam

Seedless wild blackberry jam

Bing cherry jam

Rose petal jam

Green beans

Corn

2 types of tomato salsa

Mushrooms

Crushed tomatoes

Spaghetti meat sauce

Dill pickle slices

Green, yellow and red peppers

Black raspberry pie filling

Corn salsa

(I think that's all)

I have frozen many quarts of fruits my daughter picked at PYOs, strawberries, blueberries, black raspberries, and wild blackberries I got from my Dad's property.

o

What recipe did you use for corn salsa?

o

This last week, hubby and I have canned tomato juice and sliced peaches--46 qts of tomato juice and 49 qts of peaches. Still have about 3/4 bushel of peaches to finish this weekend. Next week is spaghetti sauce, have about 2 bushel of Romas to use for that.

o

ajsmama,

I made 2 different corn salas so far. The first was from the book 'Can It!' published by Better Homes and Gardens. The recipe is called Farmer's Market Salsa on page 159. This is a pretty simple corn salsa.

The second recipe came from Food In Jars on The Mrs. Wage's website. It is called Roasted Corn Salsa. As the name implies, it's a bit more involved than the one above, since you need to roast the corn first. I have posted the link below

Both tasted good right out of the pot (I had a small bit from each that didn't fill a jar), I can imagine it will only taste better once the flavors mellow and mingle more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food In Jars' Roasted Corn Salsa

This post was edited by JennyinRoss on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 13:11

o

not much so far:

24 pints of spicy pickled beets,
6 pints raspberry-apricot jam
8 pints of Annie's salsa.
bags and bags of frozen zucchini

Looking forward to peaches, pears and pear sauce, apple sauce, pluot jam, more salsa, crushed tomatoes, pickled carrots.

Perhaps next year I will plant green beans along with the usual.

o

Thanks - I saw there was some question about testing acidity of the BHG recipe, but I figure if Mrs. Wages put the Roasted Corn Salsa on their website they must have verified the safety? Certainly looks like a lot of acid (over 2C) for the veggies (3C corn plus 2C onions/peppers plus 5C tomatoes). Linda Z's Corn Relish with Tomatoes has 2C vinegar for 4C corn plus 3 1/4C onions/peppers plus 3C tomatoes. I was thinking of making some substitutions for the spices (and lime juice for part of the vinegar) to that recipe for a "salsa" as Carol suggested on the other thread.

o

5.5 half pints of Huckleblueberry Jam and 3 quarts of huckleberries in the freezer

o

Mrs. Wages adds citric acid to her ingredients, if you are using her packets.

This post was edited by myfamilysfarm on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 15:04

o

@canfan: I am jealous of your huckleberries!

o

ajsmama ,

There is lime juice in the BHG recipe. The BHG recipe makes a small batch. I would think the amount of lime juice called for would be enough.

The roasted corn salsa is a recipe from the author of "Food In Jars' on Mrs. Wages site, and does not use any of the Mrs. Wages packets, so there is no asorbic acid in the recipe. I know it sounds like a lot of acid, but it really does not taste too vinegary right out of the pot, and will mellow over time. I made one batch with extra lime juice and liked the taste even better. I also added some cilantro to it.

o

NilaJones.. Huckelberry's are so tasty. Last year we picked our own.. this year we bought from a fruit stand.. figured that we still got a good deal d/t the cost of gas and lunch... : ) as for today's canning.. just finished 7 pints of dilley beans..

o

NilaJones.. Huckelberry's are so tasty. Last year we picked our own.. this year we bought from a fruit stand.. figured that we still got a good deal d/t the cost of gas and lunch... : ) as for today's canning.. just finished 7 pints of dilley beans..

o

I saw that there were no Mrs. Wages' products in the Roasted Corn Salsa, but still figured they wouldn't take on the liability if it wasn't safe. I was just comparing the acid/veggie proportions to Linda Z's Corn and Tomato Relish, which I'm sure is safe. I just heard back from Linda and she said my substitutions sounded fine, and she may even make it, so as soon as I get her permission to post her relish recipe online for reference, I may post my substitutions here. Funny thing is, I was just looking for a recipe for someone in Rosey's new group over on that Pinch forum, I don't grow corn and we don't even really like salsas with corn so it's not something I'm planning on making! So I'll post the recipe and anyone who makes it will have to tell me how it tastes, if spices need adjusting ;-)

o

Today I did 1 pt. (didn't actually can it) of peach butter. Its a test batch to see if we like it. Last year I ran out of jars about the same time I ran out of energy so pureed remaining peaches & froze them. Sort of forgot about them until recently so looking to use them up. The first container became peach ice cream, now the peach butter, next will be Zesty peach bbq sauce, & the last is undecided.

o

I'm cooking down a 22 qt roaster of peach butter at this time. Try some spices in it, like cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg, our family likes it this way also.

o

So far, the peach butter seems promising. Great idea on the spices. I don't have a roaster. Has anyone ever done this in a crock pot?

o

So far, only tomato hot sauce, which is all I plan this year. My tomato crop is typically big. I already have loads of plum jam, tomato Italian sauce, a couple of other tomato canning products, but figure I should go for more hot sauce:

My recipe:

10 lb. vine ripened (Early Girl) tomatoes, cut in pieces
1 lb. jalapeno peppers, diced
salt
pepper
citric acid (1/2 teaspoon per quart)

Simmer ~ 15 minutes and can.
- - - -
Edit: Looking in the thread a bit I see a post from JennyinRoss from two days ago, very ambitions canner, lots of stuff. Mentioned was "seedless wild blackberry jam." I'm thinking she strains out the seeds, something I don't do. I have canned wild-picked blackberry jam for many years, also quarts of blackberries with some sugar to be made into pies. I thought I'd relate a story:

I went to my dentist probably a bit over a year ago and told him I was concerned that a piece of one of my teeth had broken off, and I showed him the piece, which I had in a small zip lock plastic bag. He looked at it and opined "I think that's a seed!" I was skeptical but after thinking about it some I realized that it probably was a seed from my blackberry jam that had lodged between my teeth and suddenly come loose.

This post was edited by dMuse on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 20:24

o

I did the Mrs Wages corn salsa too from Food in Jars. It's sweet for me & next year I'm going to add less sugar but it's yummy. I added a cup over salmon & baked it &it was a nice dinner with some rice.

Today I did 8 quarts roasted garlic tomato sauce as spaghetti sauce. ?.

o

Yes, I'm still around and I'm still canning. I've been busy farming, selling a house, planning a new house (which isn't built yet as I still have ANOTHER house to sell), playing with a new granddaughter just born last week. Both daughters took their turns in the hospital and I kept their children, then grandkids came to visit from California. Whew, it's a good thing I retired! Did I mention that I'm raising heritage turkeys this year? (grin) Bad idea, incidentally, I've already lost half, next year it's back to chickens!

Anyway, I've been to local U-picks and came home with:

37 pounds of strawberries in the freezer
43 pounds of blueberries in the freezer
21 pounds of red raspberries frozen
22 pounds sweet cherries frozen
13 quart bags of rhubarb, diced and frozen
11 half pints of strawberry freezer jam
4 quarts of sour cherries frozen (I have a small tree)
21 quarts beef stock
18 quarts chicken stock
31 pints beets
13 pints pickled beets (beets did well this year)
18 pints dill pickles, half hot
4 pints pickled jalapenos
9 half pints strawberry jam
7 pints blueberry syrup for pancakes (more to come when it gets cold and I need the freezer room where berries are)
18 dozen eggs, frozen

Corn, peaches and apples are just starting. Beans didn't do well because of a long, hot, dry spell. Tomatoes will be ripe in a week or so, I've only gotten enough to eat so far. I'll be canning "plain" tomatoes as well as KatieC's Chipotle Catsup, some of my own Annie's Salsa and Tomato Basil sauce. Oh, and some sauerkraut as cabbage is doing well. I'm kind of thinking of trying some pickled watermelon rind too, I've never done that.

Annie

o

dMuse,

Yes, that's I what I meant by seedless wild blackberry jam, I pushed the fruit through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds. What a funny story about your "tooth seed"!

The reason I went to the extra trouble of removing the seeds on this jam is because I have a friend who wears dentures who asked if I would make some type of berry jam without seeds so she could enjoy it. Those blackberries had a lot of seeds!

Here is my own blackberry story... from this year. My dad was ill earlier this year and spent months in the hospital, before he passed on August 3rd. As a result his property had been neglected and the wild black berry patches were very overgrown, most of the canes were located in about 4ft. of weeds. One day my husband and brother and I went out there to build a ramp so Dad could come home and be under hospice care. After watching the guys for awhile I decided to go pick blackberries and grabbed my bucket. Wouldn't you know that the biggest, juiciest looking berries are always furthest back in the overgrowth? I braved the overgrowth and poison ivey and picked, on, even though I was not dressed to pick in my short sleeve shirt, shorts, etc. I was feeling the thorns from the canes scratch me, but didn't care, I was on a mission. After I was done I went inside to wash up. Normally I don't catch poison ivy, haven't had it since I was a child, but I decided to wash my arms and legs good anyway, just in case. While washing the underside of my left forearm, I noticed two evenly spaced marks, that were slightly raised and red. Yep, I had been so intent on picking , that I must not have seen the snake that bit me, which is actually good, because if I had I would have passed out from fright and spilled all my hard picked berries!

o

Hi - I just found this group after spending way too much time on the kitchens forum last year. Just getting started trying to can/freeze our own stuff.

uaskigyrl I see that you are on MD? we are in Montgomery County, any places you recommend around here?

o

Annie, you weren't trying to keep turkeys and chickens together, were you? There is some disease that make the 2 not livable with each other.

o

Annie - how do you freeze your eggs?? I've frozen small quantities of egg whites from time to time but never very many and no yolks. I'd love to hear the secret -at one point we had 7 hens laying, too many eggs at one time for 2 people but not enough to make it worth the hassle to sell so we were just giving them away to neighbors and coworkers. We're down to 1-2 eggs per day now since most of our hens are too old to lay any more, but we'd like to build up the flock again if there is a way to preserve the eggs.

Thanks,
Edie

o

Just finished 13 pts. pickled jalapeno rings and 5 pts. roasted tomato garlic soup. As the soup was new tor me I made a single recipe, but before I even filled the jars I realized I'll be making more. Absolutely delicious. Also have umpteen pounds of grilled eggplant to be made into baba ganoush (which will be frozen). Its in the fridge, since I'm not sure I'll get to it tonight.

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 14:51

Edie,
Annie posted her instructions for freezing eggs on the Cooking Forum. I've linked the post for you below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freezing Eggs

o

4 pints succotash (1 broke in the canner)
2 quarts Green Chili Sauce (frozen)

o

9 more pints roasted tomato garlic soup in the canner as I write this.

o

Today I added 7 pts. roasted pickled peppers to the pantry.

o

Thanks Malna - I appreciate it!
Edie

o

This weekend I was finally able to get my BWB canner out of storage - Yay! We now have 6 jars of peach jam, 8 jars of raspberry jam and 3 jars of blackberry. Not quite sure how I ended up with only 3, though; I used the exact same recipe as I did for the raspberry, only everything in 1/2. ?? Unless it is because the blackberries were juicier and they cooked down more? Whatever, at least I have a lot of my Christmas shopping done now!! :^)

Edie

o

Three pints of ketchup, using the Ball Blue Book recipe. It was my first time, and I think it is delicious. I have frozen a couple quarts of roasted-tomato puree, 2 quarts of carrots and, I'm guessing, at least 20 quarts of green and wax beans.

o

Here are my totals to date:
7/9/13 - 10 half pts. strawberry jam (low sugar, Pomona pectin)
8/16/13 - 6 pts. strawberry lemonade concentrate
8/18/13 - 1 pt. peach butter (test batch - refrigerated only)
8/24/13 - 13 pts. jalapeño rings
8/24/13 - 5 pts. Roasted Tomato Garlic soup
8/25/13 - 9 pts. Roasted Tomato Garlic soup
8/26/13 - 9 pts. Roasted pickled red peppers
8/28/13 - 15 cups baba ganoush (frozen)
8/28/13 - 8 one & a half pints peach halves
8/30/13 - 12 pts. tomato sauce

Going to have another go at peaches tomorrow. The first batch was rough going. I didn't start until 7 pm., and was kind of tired. I'm sure the peaches are edible, but they sure won't be winning any prizes at the state fair!

o

7 pint and a half jars of Dilly Beans
11 half pints Dill Relish

The Armenian cucumber plant has proved itself to be a real survivor of the 3 types of cucs planted. I am sure there are a dozen out there and probably more lurking in the undergrowth.

o

Seasyde,

I don't know if you have access to more blackberries or raspberries ( I prefer blackberries), but blackberry - peach jam is very,very good. We don't use much of it so we give much away. Additionally, you can leave out most of the pectin and have a chunky syrup which is great on ice cream, french toast, etc.

o

So far this year:

24 qts of peaches,
24 pints Annie's Salsa,
24 12 ounce jars of blackberry-peach jam,
8 pints peach-raspberry jam,
24 pints of spicy pickled beets,
lots and lots of zucchini in the freezer

Still to come... more tomatoes to be processed, pear and apple sauce, peach pie filling, frozen broccoli (if fall harvest is there), and perhaps some winter squash soup.

I will hopefully have a lot of fall cabbage to harvest. Does anyone have a good sauerkraut recipe they wouldn't mind sharing?

Tom

This post was edited by nugrdnnut on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 15:25

o

nugrdnnut,

Thanks for the suggestion. Peach/blackberry jam sounds wonderful. I usually have to buy the berries at the store, and usually the raspberries are more plentiful but it sounds like blackberries are worth seeking out. I'll put this on my list for next year.

In the end, I punted and froze the last 7 pints of peaches. Not my first choice, but it was the fastest. We have company coming today, and all the canning paraphernalia had taken over the dining room table. I need to get it out of the way until applesauce season starts!

o

I love this thread, for inspiration and because it's so fun to see what different people eat!

I got a new freezer, so I froze everything until it was full :).

Tons of raspberries, blackberries, peaches, grated zucchini, green beans... the whole thing is crammed full, now, and no room for tomatoes, figs, and the fall crop of raspberries! I also made a few freezer pickles, for experimentation -- just 4 pints.

The ONLY canning I have done since spring is 2 half-pints of lindalou's zucchini relish, yesterday. And the last bit in the fridge. But I left the BWB set up in case I want to do a bit more :).

o

Since my last update, I've put up fermented Deli Dill Pickles, dill sandwich slices, fruit salad in a jar (oh my is it good!), amaretto peach conserve, peach mustard, peach almond conserve, vanilla vodka cheries, cowboy candy (candied jalapenos) and the remaining syrup, and vanilla plum butter.

I am currently working my way through 100 pounds of plum tomatoes, starting with spaghetti sauce. I have much work still ahead of me. :)

In addition, I froze quite a few pounds of raspberries and blackberries, which I found for a great price.

One of these days I'll get a few vinegars started.

o

Took a step away from the produce and canned 7 qts + 4 pts chicken stock. I used to just freeze the stock, but canning has freed up a lot of space in my freezer.

Made a minor error when I neglected to check the jars carefully. I found a chip in the rim of one, of course when it was full of hot stock. :( Stupid mistake, easily remedied, but it did put me off my rhythm of filling the jars.

Edited to add: I didn't realize I was the last post in this thread. Thanks NilaJones for starting part 2. Here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to part 2

This post was edited by seasyde on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 11:58

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here