Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jar didn't seal - fish - still OK to eat?

Posted by jill2761 Southeast Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 8:52

I did my first batch of pressure canned fish last night. I only canned 4 pints because I don't know if we will like it. I had one seal failure. I'm blaming the lid because it was a single leftover lid from an older box.

The jars were on the counter overnight (10 pm to 7 am). Normally I know it's okay to refrigerate and use the one with the seal failure, but this is FISH! Is it really and truly still okay to eat? I'm planning on using it for fish patties tonight, if I can get the courage to try fish that's been on the counter at room temperature overnight!

Another question is how tight should I have packed the jars? The fish is all covered by liquid, but the jars are now only 2/3 full. There was no siphoning. I filled the jars with the fish to the 1" headspace, but just loosely dropped them in to the 1" level. Raw pack, no additional liquid added, per instructions. Will the long term storage of the fish be affected by the jars having so much remaining space?

A side note about this: this is my first attempt to can fish--specifically, CATFISH. I have been warned that I may not be happy with the results, but my husband brings home catfish, a free food for us. I wanted to at least try canning a shelf-stable fish because I already have enough in the freezer. Depending on how we like it, I was hoping to use it to make fish patties or in casseroles. It was certainly easy to do. Surprisingly, except for the actual time in the canner, it was faster and easier to prepare than packaging them for the freezer.

Jill in Texas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jar didn't seal - fish - still OK to eat?

Under 24 hours old, refrigerated ASAP, no rancid odor (catfish is very fatty and rancidity develops quickly), and assuming you will be cooking it before eating then I would consider it safe to eat.

Straight out of the jar with no further cooking? I wouldn't.

Dave

o
RE: jar didn't seal - fish - still OK to eat?

It's a great reply "digdirt". I agree with you. It should be well cooked before eating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here