Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker303

What do YOU like to pressure can?

tucker303
12 years ago

I bought a pressure canner last summer but was not able to use it. In reading through posts, I wonder what is "good" to pressure can....meaning what is better as far as quality.

I assume properly canned soups are good. And I have read that tomatoes are better using a pressure canner.

But when I have read about corn, many people suggest freezing is better. It seems that way for many vegetables.

Other than soups and tomatoes...what do you feel are good candidates for pressure canning --- something that can be preserved and still have good taste and quality.

Hopefully you understand what I am driving at.

Comments (11)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

I agree, tomatoes are better canned, corn is better frozen.

Green beans are much better canned than frozen, so is okra, but I pickle the okra, unless I'm using it in soup.

I can okra, beans, and tomatoes together for soup.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I don't know. Bought one in 2009. Never took it out of the box. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Too chicken to try it -- I remember the good old days when they exploded all over the kitchen. I know they're better now, but I'm still scared!

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

It is a matter of personal taste. Some prefer canned vegetables and meats over frozen, some just the opposite. Pressure canning of course since that is required for all meats and vegetables plus many mixed recipes.

You have to try both, store-bought for testing, and determine which you prefer. Tomatoes - its is basically your choice to PC or BWB.

What isn't up for debate is that canned goods store (and retain their quality) much longer than frozen foods. They also survive long power outages which many of us are prone to.

In out house pressure canning will win over freezing for most anything except a few cuts of meat and corn left on the cob.

Dave

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Oh, Dave..........
    Typos are just the BEST some times....

"In out house pressure canning will win over freezing for most anything except a few cuts of meat and corn left on the cob."

In the OUT House? Really?

GRIN!!!

Deanna (still giggling....)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

In the OUT House? Really?

ROFL - sure Deanna we do all our canning in the OUT house. Doesn't everyone? It's all in the ambience. :)

Dave

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

OK, enough silliness.

Over the years, we have determined the following:

Pressure Canned:
    green beans
    wax beans
    dry beans (sometimes, mostly just rehydrated as needed)
    carrots
    asparagus
    soups
    meatless spaghetti sauce
    stewing chicken or tough beef

Water Bath:
    pickles
    fruits and pie fillings
    jam/jelly
    tomatoes and plain sauce
    salsa (Annie's, of course!)
    applesauce
    kraut

Frozen:
    Corn (on or off the cob)
    Berries
    broccoli/cauliflower
    greens
    meat of all types
    meat stocks (just faster for me and I use it fairly quickly. could be pressure canned too)
    chopped onion, peppers, celery

Dehydrated:
    apples
    tomatoes, sometimes
    onions
    mushrooms
    herbs (or just air dry depends on quantity and time available)

Cold Storage:
    winter squash
    apples
    potatoes

There are any number of "specialty" recipes we use as well and they are processed as required in the recipe.
    Ex: sweet and sour sauce, asian plum sauce, syrups, etc.

It really is personal preference. I would try a little of each and figure out what you like.
    If you aren't crazy about a texture, turn it into something else (cream of whatever soup, fruit sauce, etc.)

Deanna

• tucker303
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. And thank you Deanna and wertach....this is what I was looking for. It makes for a good start....

I have made jams, jellies and some pickled items, so maybe it is time to try out a chicken broth. I have a free range chicken in the freezer. One of them made a delicious and favorful roast on New Years. Time to pull out the pressure canner recipe booklet.

And maybe it is time to buy that dehydrater I have been admiring too.

• katykelly_gw
    12 years ago

I'm sitting here getting ready to can 5 qts of oxtail .

I prefer canning :
    green / wax beans
    any tomato product
    Meat and stock

Pickling is a different subject :-)

• misskimmie
    12 years ago

I love pressure canning beans, meat stock, soups, specialty tomato sauces and potatoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Homestead in the Village

• ellejay_2007
    12 years ago

My salsa with corn and black beans. It is DELICIOUS - and easy to pressure can.

• green_grandma
    12 years ago

Deanna, your experience with pressure canning, water bath canning, and freezing results is exactly the same as mine ... with one exception.

If you are using a low salt Harsch crock for making your pickles and kraut, it's better to pressure can them ... using a 'low acid vegetable' canning cycle.