Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avidchamp

Pickled Peaches

avidchamp
16 years ago

We made our first batch of pickled peaches this past year and they are really good. My husband remembered enjoying them so much made by his grandmother back in the 40's and he had not tasted one since then. We found a recipe on the internet and went by it.

We used cling seed peaches and now am wondering if the pickled peaches could be made with freestone peaches and just use peach halves. Has anyone tried using freestone peaches to make pickled peaches and how did that turn out?

My 87 year old mother is now with us and the freestone peach would be easier for her to eat than the ones that we made using clingseed.

Our local peach orchard has both types of peaches and the clingseed comes in about 4 weeks earlier than the freestone peaches. (May and June)

Thanks, Pat

Comments (8)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Peaches come in two varieties as you know, freestone and cling. Freestone peaches sometimes tend to be a bit softer when canning compared to clings. Clings, are sometimes very hard to destone as the meat is buried deep within the very course surface stone. Store bought canned peaches are usually made of cling types as they seem to hold up better to a processing. In any case, you could use either or both. When canning, they usually are better suited when hey are just slightly underripe, but because they also need to get skins off, sometimes its very difficult even after a boiling water dip, or two, or three... Ascrbic acid is very necessary when canning peaches, as they brown and oxidize very quickly even under air tight conditions. What kind of 'pickle' did you use? Ginger is a great seasoning additive for peaches. Clings and freestones can both vary at harvesting time. I have a small 4 fruit tree here, two plum types, a peach and an apricot all on the same tree. The selected fruit branches all ripen at different times with apricots being the first, then peaches, then the plums.

• bcskye
    16 years ago

Pat,

I would like your recipe for these pickled peaches if you would share.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

Like your husband, I grew up loving pickled peaches ... we always used very early, very small whole cling peaches. I cannot recall ever using larger freestone and I'm afraid the varieties I have access to would get get too soft when processed. (I do recall that we used the open kettle method in those days -- now a no-no).
    I almost pickled some early white-flesh freestone last year and may try it this year. I also wonder if nectarines might work. Both would have to be halved or quartered.
    I would also like to see your recipe ... everything I have is from very old cookbooks and I do not think there's enough additional acid in those old recipes.
    kay

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

Peaches are high acid fruits, so there would be no concern about the recipe not having enough acid. It is only with cucumbers and other low acid vegetables that is the concern.
    I only use freestone peaches. No more cling type for me. They are too hard to work with.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Even though I mentioned ASCORBIC ACID, its really needed for canning peaches and apples. Without it, you would never have a brighty colored jar of goodies. Instead, they would turn brown and look awful. Ascorbic isn't used to add acid to ANY food, as its intent is to increase a necessary vitamin C to help prevent oxidation. Its even added to wines, and many other canned and bottled foods to help prevent the discoloration. It's obviously not needed in pickles though, unless they were a corn relish which also oxidizes.

• avidchamp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Several of you asked for my receipe for pickled peaches. I had an old Ball Book that had one in it but it was too complicated and I am one for doing things the easy way. So I went to the internet and found a couple of receipes.

(1) 4 cups sugar, 1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup water, 2 Tbsp whole cloves, 4 pounds fresh clingstone peaches, blanched and peeled, 5(3 inch) cinnamon sticks.
    Combine the sugar, vinegar and water in a large pot, and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Press one or two cloves into each peach and place into the boiling syrup. Boil for 20 minutes or until peaches are tender.
    Spoon peaches into sterile jars and top with liquid to 1/2 inch from the rim. Put one cinnamon stick into each jar. Wipe the rims with a clean dry cloth and seal with lids and rings. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes to seal.

I am going to try clearseed peaches this year and I found another receipe that looks like it will work well with the half peaches since I have to cook it less time.

(2) 4 cups sugar, 2 cups white vinegar, 4 (3inch) cinnamon sticks, 15 whole cloves, 4 pounds fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and cut in half or sliced.

Pour sugar and vinegar into a large saucepan and stir to dissolve sugar. Add cinnamon sticks and cloves, and bring to a boil. Cover and boil for about 5 minutes. Strain out the cloves and cinnamon sticks, or you can leave them in for a stronger flavor.
    Pack peaches into hot sterile 1 pint jars to within 1 inch of the rim. Fill each jar with syrup to withinf 1/2 inch from the top. Wipe rims with a clean dry cloth and seal with new lids and screwbands. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Hope these work for you and you enjoy the peaches.

Pat

• gran2
    16 years ago

I've even made pickled peaches (and pears, they're pretty good) from the odd chunks from canning. They won't win any prizes, but they're wonderful for a little something on the edge of your plate at dinner. Every variety is going to change the product just a little bit. Use the kind you like best.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Another old post about a current subject. Peaches, and the difference between cling and freestones.