Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott123456_gw

Ferment recipe

scott123456
9 years ago

Are there any tested recipes that use fermented pepper mash as a base? I would like to add carrots, garlic, onions, ect to my fermented pepper mash to make my final sauce that will be hot packed.

Thanks,
Scott

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Adding fresh ingredients to an already fermented base isn't recommended. Not only does it raise the base pH to an unsafe zone but it also adds fresh bacteria to the mix. Plus you would need to add additional salt to compensate for the additions. How much would be needed is unknown.

All ingredients need to be added to the fermentation mix at the same start time and the amount of salt added for the total weight of ALL vegetables added at the beginning as you have no way of knowing the specific gravity or pH of the current mix as it has been diluted by the water that was in the original vegetables..

This batch - fermented pepper mash - should be used as is, not altered now.

You can roast your other vegetables and then use this mash as a topping for them.

Dave

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you again Dave! I am not sure that I was clear in my explanation. I do not want to add ingredients hoping that they ferment. My original idea, was to ferment my pepper mash, and then boil to kill off fermentation (and stop expanding gases), and then bwb can it for preservation. Eventually, I would open a jar here or there and make hot sauce with it. In all likelihood, I would like to add carrots, onion, garlic, and vinegar to my, dead, previously fermented, bwb canned mash, and then bottle my hot sauce. I guess what I am asking is, could I just use any tested hot sauce recipe and substitute my pepper mash for the peppers in the recipe? Or, since the mash is high acid are there any recipes out there that account for this and use less vinegar?

Thank you again,
    Scott

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Are there recipes that would allow you do do that safely? No.

Eventually, I would open a jar here or there and make hot sauce with it.

Fermented sauce is made with all the ingredients added to the pot at the same time. Fermented HOT sauce is made using hot ingredients all added at the same time. ie Tabasco Sauce - all ingredients go into the fermentation barrel at the same time. Doing otherwise voids the safety guidelines.

Vinegar-based (pickled) hot sauce is a totally different thing than fermented hot sauce. But vinegar-based sauces are also made with all ingredients added at the same time.

In both cases it is the pH and the density of the contents that determines its safety to consume and store. The only way you can control both and keep them within safe limits is to either pickle it all at the same time or ferment it all at the same time.

Hope this clarifies.

Dave

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

I ferment hot peppers, usually in 3 gal batches in sauerkraut crocks, then run the proceeds through a Foley food mill to separate out the seeds and skin, then bring the puree to a boil, put it in pint jars, the boiling water bath the result.

I'll add that to later hot sauce concoctions - using things like mango juice, carrots, onions, lime zest, what ever. Its a great way to experiment.

Then I keep it in the fridge, and it lasts for months.