Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

What have you put up in 2007?

annie1992
17 years ago

New year, new thread. LOL It's time to start. I know several of us made marmalade, including lpinkmountain and zemmaj.

So, my first canning of the season was 4 half pints of Meyer Lemon and Vanilla Bean marmalade, yummy and it all set well.

I've also cut and frozen 20 pounds of potatoes into french fries for the freezer but the Grandkids seem to have eaten them all. Now they don't like the "store" french fries, LOL, and even prefer mine to McDonald's, as long as I can give them a toy too. (grin)

Annie

Comments (148)

• belindach
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

two pints, two 12oz and five 8oz tomatoes

• mellyofthesouth
    16 years ago

Whee, I'm post #100.
    Today I made 6 half-pints of rhubarb red currants preserves. I used 4 parts rhubarb to 1 part red currants then added an equal amount of sugar. I used the multi-day soak method. You don't really taste the red currants, although they contribute to the flavor. The main reason I put them in was for their color and also b/c I didn't really have enough for a full batch by itself. They kept the preserves a red color instead of it turning that yucky brown color. I posted pictures in my free fruit thread if you are interested.

• buckeyefan
    16 years ago

Put me down for 15 8 oz. jars of strawberry jam. I didn't get into canning last year until after strawberry season, so I plan to take advantage this year!!

• belindach
    16 years ago

14 more of 1/2 pints of tomatoes

• annie1992
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not much here except strawberries and radishes, a bit of rhubarb. I've put strawberries and rhubarb in the freezer, and last night I made 6 half pints of Habanero Gold from habaneros in the freezer, just because I'm out!

Annie

• harvesthunt
    16 years ago

Now that I've been assured my peas seem to be successfully canned, I can say I've put up:

8 - jars of strawberry jelly (BWB)
    15 - 1/2 lb bags of sugar snap peas (frozen - and took up way too much of my limited freezer space)
    11 - pints of peas (pressure canned)

And just to prove I'm insane, this was my first attempt at both jam/bwb and peas/pressure canning, and I did this all last Sunday (while hubby was taking up way more than his fair share of the kitchen installing a new dishwasher). This has led to the new house rule of one type of canning / one food per day until we get LOTS more practice!

I'm thinking I saw some really nice beets last week at the farmers market. Might have to find a good pickled recipe for them!

• julsie
    16 years ago

buckeyefan, I'm so jealous! I completely missed strawberry season where I live!

But I have successfully put up:

Half a batch of Annie's salsa (the other half didn't seal, so it doesn't count as being preserved, but it will definitely get eaten!)
    5 pints of another salsa recipe I wanted to try. It's not as good. What was I thinking?

Julie

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Why no seal?? I would hope your screwing on the rings snugly. Just a light finger tight isn't going to be as reliable. Hammering them down very tight is also not advisable. My dad used to crank down on the rings and it was almost impossible to unscrew them afterwards without using some kind of wrench or a rubber grip pad. At times the glass threaded area would crack as well, so we had to tell him to go easy.

• buckeyefan
    16 years ago

Tonight we did 3 pints of strawberry syrup. I used Linda Lou's recipe, and used my food mill to puree the berries, which actually left the syrup pretty clear since I used the finest screen for it.

After that, I did 5 pints of blueberry syrup.

Both were very easy to do, and we had about a 1/2 pint leftover on each batch to save for ourselves to eat now- I think waffles are in the near future!!

Tomorrow I am going to take my son to the you-pick strawberry patch near us. None of us have ever done that before, but I would like to get some more berries to put in the freezer before the season ends.

Lisa

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Bring some knee pads with you for the PYO strawberries..

• buckeyefan
    16 years ago

lol, ksrogers, I didn't take the kneepads, but it wasn't bad at all. They actually had them planted on raised beds, so it wasn't hard on the knees or the back. We picked 2 gallon containers in about 45 minutes, which was pretty fast (with a 3 year old "helping") :)

• susandonb
    16 years ago

15 pts of great dill chunks today and 15 pts of b&b last weekend. Will be doing more b&b tomorrow and maybe chili sauce.

Susan in NC

• belindach
    16 years ago

10 more 8oz tomatoes. Production is slowing.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

No tomatoes here yet, but there are a few peppers already. Here, the temps that last few days have been quite cool, nights are down to the 50's still. Everything is wating for the heat of summer to start. I just hope it doesn't end up getting hot in September, when most things are at the end of the line.

• bejay9_10
    16 years ago

Finally - came to the end of the boysenberries. Most were frozen on sheets, then packed in plastic containers.

Also canned a few pints of sauce. No jam - as we still have a shelf of various jams, jelly or marmalade - can always do later if we run out. I hate to dispose of good food, and I went slightly overboard in that department last year - having so much fun.

The apricots are almost as plentiful this year. Although the raccoons have had more than their share. They broke off a nice branch a few nights ago - of some of the best ripe ones. But still have a bin full - so will do more simple syrup in pints.

Also have almost enough pole beans to start some serious pickling - today.

Tomatoes still waiting for heat - cool temps in the mornings - (our June gloom) keeps them green. The sun didn't show until almost noon yesterday.

All of those different peppers hanging in there - waiting for heat too - but doing well otherwise. Will refresh my thinking with past postings on making powders - habaneros, paprikas, anchos, and of course, the Aji (seeds from Gardenlad), etc. (Haven't seen his posts recently ??).

Sooo - today - here we go.

Bejay

• decolady01
    16 years ago

I've got lots of peppers and have been putting them in the freezer. Some are already processed to make variations of pepper jelly when the weather gets cooler. There are enough for 10 batches of jelly. Some are chopped and bagged for use on pizzas, to sauté, etc. (6 qts). I'll be making the jelly to use as Christmas gifts. I've also put another 5 qts of greens (mostly chard) in the freezer.

The only tomatoes ripe here are the first of the Sun Golds. We're anxiously awaiting the others. :-)

Becky

• julsie
    16 years ago

I had a few accidents in the kitchen the other day and managed to make 2 half-pints of mixed berry jam, and 3 half-pints of pineapple jam.

Did another batch of Annie's salsa in the pressure cooker last night, and again, only half the jars sealed. Can't seem to figure out what went wrong, but that's another thread.

Started a batch of maraschino cherries yesterday. Should go into the canner . . . Tuesday, I think.

Julie

• belindach
    16 years ago

Made 4 quarts of peach pie filling this afternoon. Used some of the grated zucchini and carrots in a soup and it was yum. Adds a richness to the soup which means I'm doing more zucchini for this winter. Thank goodness I've found a use for all that zucchini and means I'll plant more next year.

• bejay9_10
    16 years ago

Four pints of dilly beans - now pinging in the kitchen.

Apricots next. Had to pick them a bit under-ripe, but with a tad of lemon, should be fine. The durned raccoons got quite a few the night before. They are so big - about 40 lb. size, and broke quite a few branches on that young apricot tree - but I stopped the fun last night because I activated a water shooting sensor device. It seems to be working fine. (Why didn't I think of it sooner ? DUH)

Bejay

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Froze a couple of quarts of shelling peas.......shelled.
    Froze 2 quarts of snow peas.
    Everything else is waiting for heat!
    Deanna

• aberwacky_ar7b
    16 years ago

I haven't been around here much this year, but I'm finally contributing to this thread--it's been a busy year, with my 2nd son born January 3rd. Finally. A week late. :-)

I froze up broccoli and spinach this spring, and have been freezing up beans for a few weeks. Got out the canner for the first time this weekend, to make some pickles. I put up:

10 pints of a low-sugar Bread and Butter pickle
    10 pints of dilly beans
    8 pints of 3-bean salad

Plus, I have 2 gallons of mixed pickles (beans and cukes) fermenting.

My 2-year-old loves to help--he helps to snap the beans and uses my mortar and pestle to crush spices. He can't wait to try the "pipkles"--he's a pickle fiend!

Tomatoes are just starting to come in, so Annie's salsa is on the docket for next week.

I hope the Easter freeze hasn't ruined the peach crop around here. We need our canned peaches and jam.

Leigh

• harvesthunt
    16 years ago

Add to last weeks tally:

9 - 8oz jars of blueberry jelly
    9 - 8oz jars of raspberry jelly
    13 pints of peas

I already broke my rule of only one kind of canning in a day, and it only took me a week!

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Hey! Rules were made to be broken!

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

This week was strawberry week for me. Four 1/2 pints mixed berry jam (strawberries and a few raspberries from the garden). Next, six 1/2 pints traditional strawberry jam. Last, a two day process with strawberry preserves, the kind in a thick syrup, which I canned mostly in pints, which was a mistake. So 2 pints and one 1/2 pint of the preserves. (See my strawberry post for more details).

That about does it for me in the jam department. Last year it was peach, year before blueberry. I may have another go at peach this year, and I definately want to try some peach chutney. And then salsa and pickled peppers. So I'm on hold for a while until the peaches, tomatoes and peppers come on. I planted a few cukes in pots on the patio this year, we'll see if they inspire me for anything else.

• jessay3
    16 years ago

Since last week I have put up:
    *10 bushels of cream corn for the freezer
    *50 quarts of tomatoes
    *3 batches of Annie's salsa
    *14 pints, and 4 quarts of Linda Lou's sweet pickle chunks
    *2 batches of jalapeno jelly
    *2 quarts and 2 pints of pickled jalapeno's (don't can these just stuck them in the fridge)

Need I say that I am wore out.....that corn kicked my butt! But it's OH SO GOOD come winter! Next week, if I can find them it's going to be Habanero Jelly! I've got one half pint jar left from last year!

Jessie

• bejay9_10
    16 years ago

Hmmmm - (don't know if this can compete - after that last post)

But - here goes -

4 pints dilly beans (did I already add that?).

6 pints apricots in simple syrup - canned.

2-1/2 pints "cots" in simple syrup - frozen.

3 - 1/2 pints macadamias - cracked, hulled, frozen.

Hey - The Tomatoes are Coming, the tomatoes are coming! And plums, peppers, onions, - whee! Small pickles might not make it - durn. More apricots for ??

Bejay

• belindach
    16 years ago

12 more of 8oz canned tomatoes and that's it for the year. The balance of my tomatoes as they ripen will be used for more salsa or maybe soup.

• zabby17
    16 years ago

jessie, wow! I am in awe.

bejay,

I got one of those motion-water thingies when the raccoons back in Toronto started messing with my tomatoes and corn! It worked pretty well indeed, though when the young ones turned into teens, while they mostly were deterred from the garden, they set it off so often the noise kept us up half the night! (There were 8 young ones, and one would be startled off by the water, but then another one would come up, etc., and by the time they had all been up the first one would have recovered his gumption and try again --- argh! Toronto has the most thuggish raccoons in the world.)

Sometimes the 'coons get used to it over time, and it can help to move it around.

Anyway, glad you found a way to protect your apricots. Apricots are my FAVOURITE fruit and NO WAY I want any #*$()#*()) raccoons getting any!!!!

Zabby, who has a lot less trouble with wildlife in her garden since she moved away from the city, go figure!

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Just a wee double batch of Jalapeno Heaven (better known as Annie's Habanero Gold, but I'm a WIMP).
    7 - Half pints
    Deanna

• vegangirl
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I haven't been to this forum for a year or so. We've frozen strawberries, cantaloupe in white grape juice, and greens (amaranth and lamb's quarters mixed) so far. Haven't canned anything yet. We just got our garden planted a few weeks ago so nothing is producing yet.

I love reading what other harvester's are doing!

• bejay9_10
    16 years ago

zabby -

We have at least 3 of the biggest raccoons I've ever seen -they must weigh close to 40 lbs apiece and mean looking. They have already killed a couple of chickens and of course, been a real mess in the garden.

But - I figured I had them pretty well closed out with my PVC type cages over the vegetables. Guess I just was so amazed at my good fortune to have 2 standard apricot trees just loaded, that I forgot those rascals. I saved most of the crop - although the poor tree is sad looking with so many broken branches - from all that weight.

The 2nd apricot tree is also loaded (my cup runneth over this year). So I will be busy "doing" them too.

I think outside of the coyote, that coons will also be last survivors on this earth.

Of interest, our dry weather has caused a lot of wild animals to encroach on civilization - guess it is easier for a coyote to catch a domestic animal than pursue its wilder prey.

On topic - drying a few cherry type tomatoes - outside. Also partially dried some apricot leathers in the kitchen, and partially outside. Just my little experiment for energy conservation.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

• jessay3
    16 years ago

I got 2 batches of Habanero Jelly done yesterday and they've already found new homes! I'm gonna make us 2 batches of it tomorrow which isn't going anywhere! I LOVE that stuff! Seems like everyone I know does too though.....

I think after this, I'm done for the year......unless I can get my hands on some pears.....or peaches.....

Jessie (who by the way had help from her Momma with the corn and the canned tomatoes! Still whipped my butt though!)

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Jessie,
    It's always interesting to me that two people can be in the same "zone" and on such different growing schedules!! I am Zone 8 too and things like corn and tomatoes (and most everything else) is still a long way off..........like August! I am still harvesting peas, lettuce, onions, strawberries. Pears and peaches won't even be on my radar until September!

Strange.......interesting.......and thank goodness we can live vicariously during the OFF season!

Deanna

• bejay9_10
    16 years ago

Another 4 pints dilly beans - (8 pints in all now).

Drying the first of the smaller cherry tomatoes outside - (weather really warms up after the marine layer lifts at about 10:00 or so).

Picked the first of the small cucumbers - but coming on slowly - if there aren't enough for straight dill pickles, may start a dill fermenting crock - using great combos with mixed stuff like - small onions, green tomatoes, small squash, peppers, garlic, cukes, etc., all brined and allowed to ferment. The mixture of veggies makes for great tasting - and makes wonderful relishes if ground up. Canned quite a few small 1/4 pints last year.

Last night, my water sensor apparently hit its mark and sprayed a coyote - he/she really let out a howl - (chuckle). Don't know if it will come back or not - but there were fewer half eaten apricots on the ground this morning.

Picked another batch of beans - GD would like them steamed and served with garlic, dill, oil and vinegar marinade -so will do for dinner.

Saw a recipe for saurbraten - and thought it a good recipe for using the home made wine vinegar that I made a few months ago. Still marinating (3 days in all).

It called for juniper berries - which I've had very few recipe use for in the past - and also gingersnaps - so better see if I can rustle those cookies up somewhere. Hmmm - wonder if some chopped fresh ginger root might substitute.

Bejay

• belindach
    16 years ago

Made 8 of the 8oz peach butter. Looks and tastes good. It was surprisingly easy to do. Shredded more zucchini and froze about 8 one cup batches.

• paula_pa
    16 years ago

Well I just started canning last week but it's addictive. I made 6 pints bread and butter pickles and 6 pints of dills last week. I haven't opened them yet but they look good.

This weekend I made 8 half-pints of Balsamic Red Peppy Jelly . The first batch was flavorful but too mild so I ran out and bought two whole jalapeños for the second batch and it was just right.

I bought the wrong size jars though. The recipe called for 4-ounce jars and I bought 8-ounce jars. I still kept the process time at 10 minutes. I hope that was okay - the other 8-ounce jelly recipes all seemed to be processed for 10 minutes also.

• daria
    16 years ago

I picked 18 pounds of strawberries this past weekend. I put 6 quarts in the freezer, and canned 4 3/4 pints of jam (from the Sure-Gel recipe). I love those tiny 1/4 pint jars - I get to can it all when there's just a little left! The rest of the berries are coming to camp for the Fourth.

I also canned 10 pints of homemade barbeque sauce back in April.

The tomatoes are growing and the cukes are coming along so more should happen later this summer.

• julsie
    16 years ago

Maraschino cherries! I ran out of half-pint jars, and ended up using a quart and telling DH to eat those first. Got another great deal on cherries today, so I'm looking forward to yummy cherry jam!

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Hot Bread & Butter pickles 28 pints. 20 pints dill pickles. 36 pints bread & butter pickles.

• jessay3
    16 years ago

Deanna, that is very strange! Many places around here are almost through with the corn, but the tomatoes are still in full swing! Might have to go get another bushel or so for some more of Annie's Salsa.....it keeps walking away when I have company!

Daria, just wanted to say there is nothing better than strawberry preserves. Annie posted a recipe for them last year and that is the only way I will make them from now on. So much better than any other recipe I have tried!

Here's the recipe:
    STRAWBERRY PRESERVES

1 quart strawberries
    4 cups sugar
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1 tbls butter

Bring berries, lemon juice and butter to a boil and boil 3 minutes. Add 2 cups sugar, bring back to a boil and boil 2 minutes. Add remaining sugar and bring back to a boil, boil 3 minutes more. Pour into a container and let sit overnight before putting into jars. Heat the next day and process in BWB 10 minutes.

These are thicker when kept in the refrigerator, and I remember Grandma would put a few drops of red food coloring in when she made this. It's wonderful with fresh berries and just smacks of summer.

Annie

Oh, I got 2 more batches of Habanero Gold put up yesterday and a pint of peach jam.

Jessie

• daria
    16 years ago

Oh yummy - thanks Annie!

My mom always makes the Sure Gel recipe, and since she's getting some of the jam, I figured I'd make her what she expects. But next time I'll try those preserves.

• daria
    16 years ago

Oops, that thanks should go to Jessie. :D

• ibstitchin
    16 years ago

Wow. It's so neat to read through and see what has been done in different areas of the country. I'm in awe at how much some of you have done! I'm new to the forum and this will be my 5th year canning. I've done lots of salsa, chow-chow, relish, and jams but can't wait to venture into other recipes! We recently moved to Washington and I'm thrilled at the variety of fruits available to me here.

My strawberry plants didn't do much and I haven't gone in search of a PYO but I may have too after reading the strawberry recipes. Mostly I've used the sweet cherries from tree in my yard. The sour cherry tree has worms and neither apricot did well though someone from dh's work brought him a box yesterday.

5 half-pints and 1 tall quilted jar cherry jam (recipe from the Ball box)
    5 tall quilted jars of cherry preserves (no pectin kind)
    4 tall quilted jars of apricot butter

I have mulberries and chokecherries in the fridge with plans to make syrup, jam, and pie filling in the next couple days.

• bejay9_10
    16 years ago

Started my 2 gallon dill fermenting crock (a la Euell Gibbons - "Stocking up III"). Should take about 2 to 3 weeks - will taste test then. I found quite a variety of veggies including carrot, small onion, garlic, Thai pepper, zucchini, cucumbers, ancho pepper - green/red, and some blanched bush beans.

Even if it doesn't turn out well from eating standpoint, I may just put the jar in a conspicuous spot - it is so beautiful and colorful - would vie for honors in any decorator contest - LOL!

Still drying cherry type toms and apricots - tomatoes OK, but not too keen for the apricots. Still prefer the old fashioned way of sulfur and outdoor drying, but will have to settle for stove or perhaps forget it for canning. They don't freeze nicely either - even with pre-treating with Fruit Fresh.

Would like to try some hot pepper jams - but unfortunately peppers still mostly in green stages. Maybe I could fast freeze some apricots and use them in jams later, when the hot peppers finally ripen. Dunno if it would work - apricots are so fragile.

Bejay

• julsie
    16 years ago

Five half-pints of Cherry Obsession. I didn't think I would like this and just made it to humor my husband -- but it's really good!

• alabamanicole
    16 years ago

Lessee... I tend to freeze lunch and dinner items all year round, so I won't count those.

So far this year I have frozen:
    several pints of wax beans
    many, many quarts of chicken broth (and I have more bones and stuff in the freezer to do)
    1 stack grape leaves
    1 quart strawberries, sliced
    2 quarts cherries, pitted
    2 pints patty pan squash
    3 quarts freezer pickles
    5 quarts peach nectar

Dried, I have:
    rosemary
    spearmint
    basil
    and 5 varieties of dried beans

This is my first year canning. Yesterday I did
    3 quarts dill pickles
    3 pints pickled squash

I've also done 2 quarts of old fashioned sweet and sour pickles -- they really old way without canning. I haven't decided if I will have the guts to eat them yet, but they ARE packed in vinegar after all...

I have another pile of cucumbers and zucchini waiting. I think I will make relish next. Also, I want to turn my frozen peach nectar into peach jelly. And I have 3 large cantaloupes I need to do something with soon!

• bejay9_10
    16 years ago

alabamanicole -

How do you stack your grape leaves for freezing? Put something between them - so they won't stick together?

I use them occasionally when doing dill pickles, but usually have fresh ones.

Another idea that I found useful this year - if I want cabbage leaves for roll-ups, is to allow 2 cabbage plant roots to remain in the ground, after the cabbage is harvested. The root will then produce more leaves - sometimes even growing a new small head, but I like to have the outside bigger leaves as mentioned.

Another way to preserve chicken broth in ice cube trays - great for a quick taste boost to gravies, sauces, etc. I reduce the broth down so flavor is concentrated.

Looking for a way to pickle some apricots - perhaps the recipe for peach pickles would work. There is something about apricot pits that comes to mind - so wonder if they need to be pitted ???

Drying didn't work yesterday - no sun until very late - oh summer where art though?

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

• alabamanicole
    16 years ago

By the time I am ready to do pickles, the grape leaves tend to look pretty sad -- favorite food for Japanese Beetles. I use wax paper between groups of the leaves. It's not perfect, but since I had just moved and had a million chores, I wasn't really geared up yet to brine them, which I prefer.

I do the same with broth: I reduce it to a very thick gelatin, but I freeze it in pints. I tend to make big pots of soup and such instead of small ones, and then freeze leftovers. But I may do your ice cube tray trick -- you are right, it would be good if you were making gravy and didn't have fresh drippings.

I am getting ready to make a solar dehydrator. Do you have one already, or is it dry enough where you are to just put stuff out?

• belindach
    16 years ago

9 more of the 8oz salsa. Family members are starting to fight for a jar. I feel blackmail coming on.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Should be start another thread here??