Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannaw_gw

Achieving light and crispy dehydrated fruit/veg

joannaw
13 years ago

My 1 year old daughter loves the Just Fruit brand of dried fruit, but they are too expensive to buy often. Anyone know how to achieve that textrue? Light, airy, and crunchy. My home dried fruit is always hard and leathery, not something that someone with no molars is interested in. ;)

I did a search, but couldn't find anything on this. Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you. I'll report back with results of any experiments.

Comments (11)

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

I'm not familiar with the brand, but I can think of two ways they do it -add a foaming agent (look on the ingredients) or the get to a specific temp/viscosity, then whip it up, and dry it with a fan/vacuum.

I have a couple of fruit leather hounds and I freeze the big pieces, and when its hard, shatter them.

• joannaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Interesting ideas, David. But there's nothing on the ingredients list except the fruit-- and it's still fruit-shaped, so I don't think it was pureed or whipped or anything before drying. I'll add it to my list of things to try if all else fails (it's a little too labor intensive to add to my short list!)

I just tried doing some frozen bananas and peas, and freezing alone sure isn't the trick. The peas are like gravel, the bananas like leather. I've got some cooked carrots going now, we'll see what they do.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

I'm not familiar with the brand either. Is it local? Is there contact info on the container? What is its shelf life?

One thing I do know is that the type of dehydrator can make a very BIG difference in the end result. Another thing that helps result in a lighter crisper texture is thinner slicing. Not only do very thin slices dry faster and remain crisper but have more fruit flavor. You might try doing some very thin (much less than the standard 1/4" slices) and see if that is close to what you are after.

My home dried fruit is always hard and leathery

That sounds overly dried to me.

Dave

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

I don't know what they do to commercial dried fruit. The label says it is just fruit, but I don't believe it.

If I left my dried fruit that moist, it would be moldy within days.

To get crisper dried fruit, slice it wafer thin. Theirs might be freeze dried. That gives a very different texture, but I am not sure how you would do it at home.

Sometimes commercial dried stuff is spray dried and you certainly won't be able to do that at home.

I'm not familiar with the product you are trying to copy, so I have no idea what it is. I just know that home dried fruit is never the same as commercial, and I like the home dried a lot better (but I have molars)

• joannaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the link to the company under the Optional Link below-- should have linked it to begin with, sorry.

I'll try slicing them thinner, and not going so long. I'm certainly ready to believe mine have been overdried. The ones from this company are sort of the opposite of other commercially dried fruits, though-- it's all very dry. Even their raisins are light and crispy.

I much prefer home-dried, too-- that's why I'm trying to find something that my daughter can handle (without losing patience, which happens quickly!). Commerical raisins and craisins have been fine, but commercially dried apples, mango, pineapple etc. are either too chewy or have way too much added sugar. I pulled some of the banana off today when it was mostly done but still a bit squishy, and that went over pretty well. Kinda the opposite of what I was going for, but maybe I can partially dry them and store in the fridge (although that fails to meet the objective of having something I can tote around for a few days at room temp).

Spray drying?! I'm sure you're right, not doable at home-- but what is it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Fruit

• joannaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Although now I see that on their company info page they talk about "specially designed" dehydrators. Still, though! Without more details, I'm not yet convinced it isn't possible to do at home.

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

Does your dehydrator have a temperature dial? Try drying at a very low temp (105F). I would also try smaller fruit pieces.

Are you sure these aren't freeze dried? If so, you aren't going to be able to exactly duplicate that texture and crunchiness but you might get something different but acceptable.

If all else fails and you find yourself needing to buy the product, go to the camping store and pick up a packet of freeze-dried fruit. If that's the result you want, there are numerous companies which sell #10 cans of freeze-dried fruit and veggies online, which might be cheaper than Just Fruit. IIRC, Just Fruit it pretty pricey stuff.

• joannaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I think they must be freeze dried. I read a description of the process, and I'm convinced: can't do it at home. Not without moving to the Andes. :) But maybe I can make something workable by taking your collective suggestions about temperature and size. Thank you, all!

FWIW, I've discovered that beans cooked well and then dehydrated have a nice light and crunchy sort of texture.

• mhkilgore
    8 years ago

Did you ever have any luck with this?

• joannaw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No, I didn't. I hear there are now some freeze dryers available for the consumer market, but not in my price range yet! Fortunately we live near a Trader Joe's now. :)

Check out this thread for some serious home freeze drying adventures: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149399-freeze-driers-and-freeze-dried-food-part-1/?hl=%2Bfreeze+%2Bdrying

• Angie Jones
    7 years ago

I was just sitting here munching on Just fruit munchies. It says on the bag if moisture gets in the bag put in freezer to make crispy again. Makes me think maybe freeze dried!