Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seasoned Ground Beef (Ball Blue Book)

Posted by jill2761 Southeast Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 12:37

First time to can ground beef, with the exception of soups, chili & spaghetti...

I prepared the Ball Blue Book recipe for Seasoned Ground Beef and followed the recipe exactly. The recipe called for 4 lbs lean ground beef (browned, fat drained & removed), 1-1/2 cups chopped onions, 2 cloves garlic (minced), 2 cups tomato juice, 1-1/2 cups beef broth, 1 tsp seasoned salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. An initial taste test was very positive.

Since this is my first time to can meat without it being part of sauce or chili or soup, I don't know whether it had enough liquid with it. I realize this is a different recipe than the NCHFP for canning plain ground meat, but that recipe instructs you to add liquid to the jar after filling with the meat. The Seasoned Ground Beef recipe just says to fill the jars with the meat and sauce. I decided to play it on the safe side and added more boiling liquid to the jars, as if making regular ground beef. Jars have 1" headspace. I am processing 11 half-pint jars at 75 minutes.

The extra tomato juice changed the flavor somewhat--not negatively--but I liked the original flavor better. I didn't pack the ground meat in tightly...just filled the jar, and tried to equally distribute the meat and liquid among all the jars. Prior to adding the extra tomato juice, the recipe produced the amount estimated.

Should I have left the extra liquid out, going exactly by the recipe? Will the extra liquid change the texture of the meat?

thanks,

Jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seasoned Ground Beef (Ball Blue Book)

You should follow the recipe exactly. It's been tested with the amounts given and Ball recipes are proportioned and times to be safe as written.

I don't think the extra liquid will change the texture any more than it would change in soup but the flavor will be diluted.

Carol

o

So the meat doesn't have to be covered with the liquid unless the recipe says so? I thought maybe my meat was a little too dry. Thank you for the help.

It wasn't a lot of extra liquid...a little per jar, but you're right, it did dilute the flavor a bit. I'm waiting to see how it turns out after the processing finishes. I'm trying to keep more in the pantry to free up the freezer.

I'm always careful to follow the directions, but I didn't know what the density of the finished product was supposed to be like.

thanks...

Jill

o

Whatever the recipe says. If it was tested as a dense mixture, then Ball has made any necessary adjustments in time and you don't need to worry.

A dense mixture is not a problem if that's what it was designed to be; the Ball people know what they're doing.

However, I do understand the dryness issue. You may want to continue with the liquid and enhance with dried herbs.

Carol

o

Thanks. One jar didn't seal, so I tasted it. The texture and taste are just fine. If I do this recipe again, I'll follow their instructions exactly and not worry about extra liquid. Part of it was just not knowing what the consistency was supposed to be like!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here