Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Recipe safety - butternut squash jam

pqtex
12 years ago

Hello all...

I found this jam recipe online and want to know if the butternut squash is safe to can as a jam. Here are the ingredients.

BUTTERNUT & VANILLA JAM

2 pounds butternut squash flesh

1 vanilla bean

4 3/4 cups sugar

juice of 2 lemons

The squash is basically cooked, cooled, and finely chopped. Sugar, lemon juice and vanilla added. Cover and refrigerate over night. Next day cook to setting point and BWB 10 min.

Thanks for your input.

Jill

Comments (5)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I would say No. My idiot sister tried something like this, and the jars exploded their lids in about 3-4 weeks.

It's low acid, and dense, and I think the only way to do this would be in a pressure canner or as a freezer jam.

I've made squash butter along these lines, and it freezes fine, IMHO -- some liquid comes off when thawed, but you can either just stir it back in, or drain it off, which is what I prefer since it just makes it thicker.

I don't know if it would grow botulism if done in a bwb, but it no doubt could ferment and grow molds if improperly processed, due to the high sugar content.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Agree. I can't see how the juice of 2 lemons, or even 2 T of bottled lemon juice which is more acidic, would be enough acid for 2 lbs. of squash given its very low acid pH. Especially not for BWB canning. Fig jam calls for that much lemon and figs are more acidic pH than squash.

What is the source of this recipe? That info alone is usually a good clue as to whether it is safe or not.

Dave

• pqtex
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I normally use only approved recipes for all canning, with extreme caution for everything not on that list.

I was doing a general search for squash recipes(not necessarily canning) and this one was posted on a food blog. I had already seen some that were similar that indicated for refrigerator or freezer storage.

I knew that squash purees were not canned, but I didn't know if being in a jam form with all that sugar would make a difference.

I also knew that bottled lemon juice should be substituted for the fresh, but I didn't realize it still wasn't enough lemon juice for the amount of squash.

Thanks for your input. I won't use it for canning.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

This is the same as a pumpkin butter which is no longer approved for home canning. The good news is these kinds of squash preserves freeze beautifully (not to mention they can be made in small batches year-round).

Carol

• pqtex
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Since I've already cooked my butternut squash for a pie, nut bread, and for the freezer--and still and have plenty of puree--I may try a refrigerator batch of the jam. Thanks for the input.