Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning whole frozen tomatoes?

Posted by gladgrowing 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 12, 11 at 12:54

Greetings!
Time to organize and clean out my big chest freezer, and i have already enough sauces and tomato products canned for us. Is there anything different i would need to do in canning basic tomatoes from the freezer? I intend to thaw, and cut in half, and can as with fresh, with lemon and salt.
Is there anything else i need to know?
Thanks, and good processing to all in 2011!
Glad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning whole frozen tomatoes?

Really nothing else I can think of except, if you are using raw pack, make sure the tomatoes are fully thawed before beginning your processing. You want your processing time devoted to dealing with bacteria, not thawing. ;)

Dave

o

Thanks so much, Dave. You are always helpful here!
Glad

o

gladgrowing,

You may find that you end up with something more like crushed tomatoes than distinct halves---the cellular structure breaks down somewhat when you freeze & then thaw (your thawed toms may resemble deflated basketballs), so it breaks down even farther during the heat processing.

But that shouldn't affect taste---use them in anything you're going to cook anyway and you'll notice no difference.

That reminds me that I've got the makings (tomatoes and peppers) of one more batch of Annie's salsa in my own freezer --- I even froze the right quantities of hot & sweet peppers together in one bag so it'll be easy to make up.

Whee! Preserving food is kind of like having Christmas all year long---you get little presents from your summer self all the time.

Best wishes,

Z

o

You will wind up with tomato juice. I like tomato juice. I would simply remove the skins. You probably don't want skins in juice. I always add juice to my soups.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here